Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Pink Mist

As mentioned in my post on Burberry Sheer Eyeshadow in Pale Barley, a Lip Mist in Camelia Pink (No.207) was included in the gift with purchase that I qualified for after spending over $79 on Burberry at David Jones. I don't have a lot of high end lipsticks because of the crazy number of lipsticks I have from more affordable brands that I find to be just as good in quality, so it was a genuine thrill to be able to welcome a Burberry lipstick to my collection. There's much to admire in the somewhat masculine, architectural packaging with the gunmetal exterior, signature check and nifty magnetic closure. I looked forward to seeing whether a pricier lipstick was really worth the extra dollars.







l-r: Revlon Sweet Tart, Burberry Camelia Pink, Revlon Lollipop, MAC Plumful

Camelia Pink is a sheer but buildable medium hot pink with a distinct fuchsia tone. The colour isn't exactly modern or revolutionary, but you can't go terribly wrong with it either. With 1-2 coats it's fresh and understated, your natural lip colour still visible underneath, but it can be intensified to more of a party/going out lip with several coats. Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in Sweet Tart is similar in texture but warmer and more neon. Revlon Lip Butter in Lollipop is significantly darker and more opaque, much more of a true, bold fuchsia. MAC Plumful is darker, more rosy/plummy and overall subdued in colour, not as bright or pink.

What surprised me about the Lip Mist was just how glossy the formula is. It imparts an almost wet-look, lustrous shine to the lips, making them appear hydrated and plump, but not as if covered with a liquid product like a standard gloss. There's the same semi-translucent juiciness as a lollipop that's been sucked on or a slice of coloured jelly. The lipstick itself has a tacky, slightly thick consistency, and there's a bit of resistance as the lipstick bullet tugs against the lips when it's applied. While it doesn't settle into lip lines, it can be a little uneven in terms of pigmentation, particularly after the lips are pressed together to blend the lipstick.

Despite its relative sheerness, isn't what I'd describe as glide-on smooth, creamy and weightless like the Chanel Rouge Coco Shine or Maybelline Color Sensational Color Whisper lipsticks. I definitely get the sensation of something covering the lips, though it's not particularly drying or uncomfortable. One offputting aspect is the smell, which is your traditional 'grandma' lipstick scent, but fortunately it's not too strong.

If it hadn't been included in the gift with purchase, I probably wouldn't have selected Camelia Pink, mainly because I find myself tiring of these bright, blue-based pink/fuchsia shades (I have way too many and I don't particularly love any of them). At least Camelia Pink isn't too cool-toned or vivid, making it a safer pick for a casual wash of glossy colour during the day.

39 comments:

  1. This fuchsia toned lipstick really suits you beautifully and the packaging is so lovely!
    - Stefanie xx
    casualllyawkward.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although Camelia Pink didn't live up to its claims, I think its something good to have just to "brighten" up your overall look. How is the staying power of it? I would assume its not too great considering how glossy/emollient it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would say it's better than the other lipsticks I mentioned in the post, like the Chanel Coco Shines or Maybelline Color Whispers. Mainly because it feels like it really adheres to the lips. It's thicker, though it's glossy. But I can't really determine the lasting power of many lipsticks (that aren't designed to be super, super long-lasting like the Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains or something) because I'm always taking lipstick off to eat/drink before it's even been on for like, 30 minutes lol :p

      Delete
  3. Love the packaging and it's a beautiful shade! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lips look so plump and glossy with that lipstick! Did it transfer on cups/food?

    letsrunwayx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely transfers. I don't know of many lip products that completely are transfer-proof, except more lip stain kind of products with little to no gloss.

      Delete
  5. I've been eyeing these up for a little while and although the packaging is stunning, I think I'll be sticking to my more affordable lipstick options!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The packaging on Burberry lipsticks are simply gorgeous, but I agree, a lot of drugstore brands are just as good in terms of the actual product. This shade is very pretty though, I think it's a perfect pop of colour for summer! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks gorgeous on you! I really want to try a burberry lipstick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't tried any of the Burberry lipsticks and just the packaging is to die for. This shade looks very pretty on you. I wouldn't have picked this shade up and it looks quite different on as in the tube.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's such a pretty shade!
    I'm kinda like you. I never go wild with my lip choices...most of my lip products are either from Rimmel or from Bourjois (Although, I'm planning on getting more colours from MAC and other brands, but probably it won't be on my focus this year, since I'm more into getting palettes and a new camera for my blog.
    Anyway, because of this post I might look if I can get a burberry lipstick during the current sales. Although, I'm more into getting a blush or a nail polish. Decisions...

    Anyway, take care*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damn that's an amazing GWP! I'm so won over by the fancy packaging of these that I'm grateful I've read a proper review of the formula now x

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete
  11. the packaging and colour is stunning! shame it didn't live up to it's expectations xx
    mahsak.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, this looks absolutely STUNNING on you!!! Seriously it's understated but chic… perfect. Too bad the formula/scent sounds a little iffy but it sounds like something I'd be able to get over if the color was so gorgeous haha. And just as a side note: I'm watching Grey's Anatomy as I look through blogs and the minute I clicked on your post they started talking about "pink mist" on the show in relation to what bomb squads call people when they blow up. I could not stop laughing… what a strange and disturbing coincidence in relation to the title of your post.

    ♥Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! Lol! Well I guess you were exposed to two very different interpretations of 'pink mist' in that moment :p

      Delete
  13. it's so pretty on you! i love the shade. i really need to try burberry.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this is right up my alley. you know what, I think I'll give my favorite burberry counter a visit this weekend and give this one a try. The formula sounds perfect for dry winter and the color is pretty! it reminds me a lot from my most loved maybelline color sensational in blushing berry which is now discontinued T-T. thanks for the review!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, don't you hate it when companies discontinue beloved products? I would love to see this Burberry lipstick on you! I know you normally aren't as drawn to pinks as your reds :)

      Delete
  15. It's probably best they added in a safe pink colour so there was no complaints amongst the masses. Personally, I think that high shine can make up for the grandma scent! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A little bit of luxury cannot hurt once in a while, I'm a firm believer in treating yourself, life is too darn short. I think this looks very nice on you, it's nice to see that there is a somewhat similar version in Revlon Sweet Tart, even it is a slightly warmer shade.

    Amy x A Little Boat Sailing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Camelia Pink looks so lovely on you. Love how hydrated and full your lips looks. This shade is something I'd personally go for. It makes for one hell of a gift with purchase. You lucky gal. For a beautiful shade like this one, I think I can overlook the 'grandma scent' :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like the look of this shade, seems very pretty. I received the Copper lip mist (which ironically would probably be absolutely amazing on you) as a GWP when I hauled at Burberry and last summer the damn thing snapped :( So heartbreaking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! :( Was it because it was too soft? I remember reading about that Lip Mist on your blog and the GWP post - I was hoping it would be the colour included in this one but alas! :p

      Delete
  19. The packaging is lovely and the colour is quite nice but I feel like there are just so many possible dupes out there!
    xx
    Celina | The Celution | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, it's so glossy! The packaging is beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the colour and the glossy finish x x

    zoeblogsbeauty

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the review!
    I do love the glossy plump look but I am not so sure if I want to shell out for one of these after reading your descriptions plus "the grandma" lipstick scent. I recently have experienced something like that from GA Rouge Ecstasy, which is disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame - the GA lipsticks look divine! Would love to add one of them to my collection one day :) It's funny how unexpectedly important the scent of a lipstick is to one's overall enjoyment of it - I can't use Face of Australia Lip Quench Moisturising Lipstick for example because the scent is just too gross :\

      Delete
  23. I think Camelia Pink is a gorgeous color for everyday wear, especially in the summer. I tend to go for nudey pinks, so this would be the perfect color for my lips. I also have to buy hydrating lipsticks, since my lips are often dry and chapped even with lip balm applied the night before. I think I might try one of the Maybelline Color Sensational Color Whisper lipsticks because after reading what you said about them, they sound amazing and they're quite affordable too!

    Emily
    ahemitsemme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks really nice against your skin tone! I still can't make myself pay the Burberry price and can't decide which formula would work best. Maybe I'll just head straight for blush and shadows instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I received a sample size of a Burberry Lipstick once and I agree the smell is a bit powdery/grandma. The formula didn't impress me either!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The shade looks very pretty and glossy.
    love those white holders in the background ..

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was eyeing this the other day, but I feel like I'm in the same boat (too many fuchsia pinks). Now seeing it again, though, I still want it lol :) x

    ReplyDelete
  28. How very lucky that you did get this as a gift with purchase! There is no denying the stunning Burberry packaging though, what's not to love? You lip swatches make Camelia Pink look so pretty, although it is a shame that the formula can tend to cause an uneven pigmentation. At least you can say you have a Burberry lipstick in your collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Holy crap this lipstick is beautiful! Wow!

    xo, Rebecca

    wednesdaypress.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...