Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Jasmine and Vanilla

Dare I say I'm becoming something of a Lushie? I've genuinely enjoyed almost everything I've tried from Lush and find their products to be of a consistently high standard, which surprised me given the sometimes questionable efficacy of "natural" products. Recently, a lady at work enthusiastically sprayed on a perfume at lunch and after she revealed it to be Lush Lust, I ran to a Lush store later that day and bought the 10ml spritzer of Lust, along with Vanillary. At an affordable $15.50 a piece and packaged in a sleek, travel-friendly cylinder, I was keen to unearth a world of scents previously unknown to me with the purchase of my first two Lush perfumes.

Lush Gorilla Perfume in Lust and Vanillary

Lust
This stuff is potent. There's no other way to describe it. One single spritz, held at a distance, lasts hours. People from the other side of the room could probably detect a whiff of Lust after it's first sprayed. This disperses and settles like an atomic bomb leaving a mushroom cloud. Mixed with heat or sweat on the skin, it's even more heady, to the point where it's slightly sickening. Having said that, it's one amazing burst of super charged jasmine. A definite wake up call to the senses. If you like jasmine, you need to at least experience Lust. There are apparently additional notes of rose, ylang ylang, sandalwood and vanilla, but they're all very much in the background. It's often described as "dirty" or "indolic", typical of authentic jasmine. There's a tartness and mustiness there that stops it from being completely sweet and creamy.

Vanillary
Lately, I've been flirting with the idea of adding a vanilla perfume to my collection, either diptyque Eau Duelle or Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille. Vanillary is a much more accessible way of dabbling in vanilla fragrances without needing to fork out over $100 for the two I've been lusting over. The notes as described by Lush include natural vanilla absolute, jasmine and tonka bean, with hints of sandalwood and burnt caramel. I'm not huge on the opening which is a bit "uriney" as one MakeupAlley user put it (mainly due to the jasmine), but after 10-15 minutes the vanilla body begins to shine through. It becomes more traditionally gourmand with a warmth and spiciness that keeps it interesting. This one, while not distinctly subtle, is nowhere near as long-lasting or strong as Lust. After 30 or so minutes, it's faded and subdued, staying relatively close to the skin.

31 comments:

  1. I've never tried any of the perfumes from Lush, I think I recall seeing them instore but I've never spritzed any of them. They sound really nice and their pretty well priced too! Lust sounds especially nice, I don't own any predominantly Jasmine scents.

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next time I go to Lush, I will definitely be giving these a sniff! My favorite scent as of now is Victoria by Victoria's Secert's. It is a light floral/sweet scent, that just smells perfect to me. It is more of a spring scent, but hey, who said it was ever too early for spring? :)

    Emily
    ahemitsemme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried Dirty? It's my fave scent from Lush. :) I think Lust might be my second favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't! I don't think I saw it in the shops here. I looked it up on the UK Lush website just then and it sounds intriguing!

      Delete
  4. Oh I think we are becoming soul sisters!! I just recently bought lust in solid perfume form and I have been waiting for my vanillary because my lush counter was ran out of it!! they both combined together is heaven on earth! ^^
    The spray version does smell a bit different than the solid one, but I think after awhile they start to develop the same scent...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen, let alone tried, any of the Lush fragrances. These scents don't seem to be my cup of tea but I'm assuming they have more than just these two? I'll definitely check them out next time I pass by Lush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, they have more scents than these two. There are more traditionally floral ones and one that smells very soapy to me.

      Delete
  6. I didn't even know Lush sold perfumes! Lasting a good few hours is very good! But not too keen on something that is so overpowering that it borderlines sickening! Either way, I might check out Lust in store because I do have a thing for jasmine scents!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to try Vanillary it sounds lovely. My favourite perfume at the moment is Lush's Imogen Rose, it's like a mixture of roses and baby powder, smells lovely.

    Rosie x | www.eatreadglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lust sounds fantastic! Jasmine, rose, and sandalwood?! yes please!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome, and they look nice and practical too! :)

    http://colorspiritattitude.blogspot.ro/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've tried the rose version of these perfumes and it smells just like Turkish Delight <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah I've wanted to try Vanillary for ages - I really should give it a go. Feel a bit awkward going to Lush though, since I had a job interview there and didn't get it :P x

    Živa from Nothin' Fancy. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just like you rushing out to buy Lust after your co-worker spritz some, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to rush out and have a look to my nearest Lush! You should try the Lush Big Shampoo or any of their body creams, I adore them :)

    x
    Phoebe
    Eat. Live. Love. Repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've *almost* purchased Lust in the solid perfume or spray every single time I walk into Lush, without fail. The headiness and sultriness puts me off it- totally age inappropriate (and otherwise inappropriate, for that matter). I do love jasmine a tonne though, so I'll give it another whiff when I'm next there and maybe I just might put an end to all these 'almost'-buys. Vanillary is nice but not want-worthy enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha maybe go for the solid, I'm assuming it's a bit lighter and softer, not as overpowering as the spray. I can understand why it might be a bit offputting but I don't know, something about Lust makes it unique and worth acquiring. But I suppose it needs to be administered in small doses when you really feel like smelling/wearing it.

      Delete
  14. I have the solid version of Lust as well as this vial too, and you are totally right, it is like a giant jasmine smack in the face!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to pop by a Lush store to have a sniff of these! The Lust one in particular sounds lovely. They're so travel friendly too, great for on the go and mid-day spritzes. ;) I do get quite overwhelmed by the smell whenever I walk past a Lush store though, hopefully these aren't super strong, haha x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never thought about trying their perfumes - I usually just think about their skin care and hair products - but this might be the push I needed. The container looks amazing for travel and it's super affordable!
    I'll be sure to check them out on my next trip to lush (because I'm dying to get their mask of magnaminty mask and more hair products! Specially their dry shampoo.)
    Take care dear :3 Have a nice day!*

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never tried perfumes from Lush before, and this certainly piques my interest! I'm curious to try Lust as I have tried the soap before and quite liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum. I like Diptyque's Eau Duelle a lot, too, so that Vanilla LUSH perfume sounds like the perfect budget-friendly alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember trying out one of LUSH perfume (in a stick form) on my wrists and went to work with that on. Mind you, I work in a kitchen (part time as a 'cook'). And after I'm done with my work (7 hours later) that thing is still noticeable! Do you think I need it? *I'm on LUSH website already*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if you're after long-lasting perfumes then you can't go wrong with Lush ;)

      Delete
  20. I love vanilla scents! Haha I love your descriptions "atomic bomb" xD

    ReplyDelete
  21. i'm kind of finicky when it comes to scents. i would try the vanilla. lol the jasmine...NEVER! hahaha
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've always wanted to become a lushie but I'm pretty sure if I do then it'll spell major trouble for my nonexistent bank account haha. Glad to hear these perfumes were fun and potent pick ups for you!!

    ♥Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that the 10ml spritzer is almost the same price as in the US where this is $14.95 (and definitely cheaper than UK). Pleasantly surprised :) But Lush is expensive - a small bottle of their I Love Juicy shampoo costs almost the same as 2x jumbo Pantene bottles when on sale. I love their post-Xmas 50% off sales though!

      Delete
  23. Lust sounds gorgeous! I'll have to give these scents a try.
    xx
    Celina | The Celution | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hmm think I need to give these a go! Great review xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love both scents, they're absolutely gorgeous. Warning, though, Lush spritzers often leak. I reinforce the "seam" between the spray pump and the bottle with a tape to prevent the juices escaping and evaporating -- Especially since the juice for Lust is red and can easily ruin your favorite white shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! Luckily I've managed to avoid any disasters so far but I'm keeping them upright in my drawer from now :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...