Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Beachy and Undone

I don't do hair. But when Sephora opened up in Sydney, I found myself oddly drawn to the hair care section. With all the testers just begging to be abused, I grabbed whatever was in front of me and started spritzing liberally. The result was nothing short of revelatory. My boring, flat, lifeless mop of hair was suddenly transformed into a tousled, voluminous, bed head vision. I literally had to rush back to the store the following day, determined to pick up the two products that impressed me the most: Sachajuan Ocean Mist and amika Un.Done Texture Spray.




I couldn't find any of the amika Un.Done Texture Spray at Sephora (the nice lady I spoke to said that the "amika girls" had recently done some kind of event at the shop and that specific product might not even be stocked at Sephora, but merely something they left behind), so I had to purchase it online. But the Sachajuan was there for $35. That's kind of a lot for what appears to be salty, alcohol-laced water in a coolly designed, minimalist bottle, but by that stage I was already converted and couldn't hand over my money fast enough.

The Sachajuan Ocean Mist and amika Un.Done Texture Spray have now joined Morrocanoil as the only hair products I own apart from shampoo and conditioner. I've been enjoying using the both of them together on second day hair to amp up volume, emphasise any natural waves from tying my hair up in a bun a lot of the time, and generally create a messy, slept-in, effortless look.

The Sachajuan has more grit and a subtle stickiness to it that feels like I'm deliberately dirtying my hair to generate texture and body. As it's just a spray rather than an aerosol like the amika, it comes out more like a squirt of liquid than an ultra-fine mist. For that reason, when it's spritzed, it tends to be concentrated in a particular area rather than dispersed evenly and thinly over a larger surface. I spray it a few times all over, then go in and rub, twist and scrunch sections of my hair together with my hands to better distribute the product and essentially tease and mess my hair up.

I then follow up with the amika all over and once again, tease my hair with my hands to "activate" the product. The Un.Done Texture Spray is what gives the hair that grungy, bed head appearance, building lots of natural-looking volume but in a touchable, weightless, invisible way. I have read that it's the closest dupe to Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray on the market. Though I haven't tried the Oribe myself (and at the prices it sells for, I don't foresee that changing any time soon), upon inspecting the ingredients of the two, I can see why that claim might be true.

amika Un.Done Texture Spray: Hydrofluorocarbon 152A, Butane, SD Alcohol 40-B, Disiloxane, VP/VA Copolymer, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Zeolite, Glycerin, Triethyl Citrate, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Fragrance, Hippophae Rhamnoides Extract, Water

Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray: Hydrofluorocarbon 152A, Dimethyl Ether, SD Alcohol 40-B (Alcohol Denat.), VP/VA Copolymer, Zeolite, Glycerin, Acetyl Triethyl Citrate, PEG/PPG 17/18 Dimethicone, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, AMP-Isostearoyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Benzophenone-4, Water/Aqua/Eau, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Fruit Extract, Passiflora Incarnata Flower Extract, Actinidia Chinensis (Kiwi) Fruit Extract, Hedychium Coronarium Root Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Linalool, Citral, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Parfum/Fragrance

I'm no expert on chemicals, but apart from the added extracts in the Oribe, it looks like the two are more or less exactly the same thing. Given the Oribe is far more than what I'd be willing to shell out on a hair product, I'm happy to have discovered the Un.Done Texture Spray if it gives a very similar effect but at a much reduced price.

15 comments:

  1. Sachajuan has been on my lust list for months but yours is the first detailed review that I've read. Not liking the sound of the squirt vs fine mist but I'm going to have to try it after bumble & bumble surf spray out of curiosity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think B&B must be very similar, though ingredients-wise they're pretty different. Mainly the Sachajuan has alcohol pretty high up on the ingredients list (like, second I think). Pretty sure the effect they give must be very close though.

      Delete
  2. I'd love to see the vision myself! Bed head grungy hair sounds dreamy! :-)

    TheConscienceFund

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh they both sound like what I need for my flat hair! I have never heard of Sachajuan but I once had a hair straightener from Amika which I dearly loved until it broke after 4 years of duty :/ I'll have to see whether I could order the Amika un.done spray here online, I am sure I need it in my life :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Amika would be so good for giving more volume to flat hair!

      Delete
  4. They look quite interesting!
    I never know what I can or should do to my hair T_T

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried the Sachjuan spray at Sephora and I think on first impressions alone, I strongly preferred it to Bumble and Bumble beach spray!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Amika undone texture spray sounds amazing. I have tried their dry shampoo and I really enjoy that. It gives my hair a refreshed look and add a bit of texture to it which I need for 2nd/3rd hair day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, I've tried their dry shampoo (using the tester at Sephora) and wasn't really impressed. It didn't seem to soak up enough of my oil at the roots for me? I much prefer Klorane or even Batiste. Can't fault their texture spray though!

      Delete
  7. I really want to Try SachaJuan! Love their packaging, look so sleek and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm also not a hair person, but I think I could handle giving this a shot, seems easy enough!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that Sachajuan Ocean Mist is fantastic. Sachajuan is actually one of my favourite hair brand. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your incessant praise makes me want to give the tousled bedhead look another chance! I'm just like you- I have nearly no haircare products- styling or otherwise; but you're positively gushing! How much was the amika texture spray and where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a gigantic novelty to me. I like the grungy/messy look, it appeals to the wannabe hipster within :p Do hipsters even go for that? Probably not.

      I bought it from http://shop.michaeljohnsonhair.com/ and I think it was discounted to $28 from $35? It's also available at Ry for $35. I actually went back to Sephora today and I saw they were selling it so the sales girl wasn't completely correct. Didn't check the price but pretty sure it must be $35 since that seems the RRP in Australia.

      Delete
  11. i don't do hair too! and such praise coming from someone else who doesn't do hair has totally convinced me!:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...