Thursday, December 31, 2015

Two US Drugstore Buys

Last day of the year, why not squeeze in a (hopefully) quickie post about the two products I bought from the "drugstore" when in the US in September. One of the things I most look forward to while in the States is of course, the makeup shopping, especially when it comes to permanent products or limited edition releases not available in Australia. Which is precisely why I bought Maybelline Leather Color Tattoo in Creamy Beige and L'Oréal Infallible Eyeshadow in Amber Rush. The former is a matte shade, said to be a dupe of MAC Paint Pot in Groundwork, that hasn't been released in Australia (doubtful whether it ever will be), while the latter is a shade that is missing from the permanent line up here.






l-r: Maybelline Creamy Beige, L'Oréal Amber Rush


Both are excellent eyeshadows in terms of texture, pigmentation and application/performance. I do find that the Maybelline Color Tattoos dry out over time (unlike other cream shadows like MAC Paint Pots or Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow), which is one major downside to them. But when they're fresh, they work brilliantly. Good colour pay off, easy to apply with the fingers, blend nicely, non-patchy, can be built up in pigmentation, long wear time. The L'Oréal Infallible eyeshadows are arguably even more exceptional. They're truly some of the most pigmented, ultra metallic eyeshadows on the market — high or low end. They're frequently compared with and described as a dupe for the Giorgio Armani Eyes To Kill Eyeshadows, especially since L'Oréal owns Giorgio Armani Beauty. However, my experience with them has been mixed (see reviews on the first five I bought, plus Tender Caramel, Bronzed Goddess and Metallic Lilac, Bronzed Taupe).

Assuming an eyeshadow meets the minimum quality requirements we now expect all eyeshadows to meet, the only factor between love and indifference is the shade itself. A tiny bit cooler-toned, or frostier in finish, a tinge more grey than brown, slightly darker or lighter, can make or break an eyeshadow. Since you can't really try out an eyeshadow on your lids at the store, more often than not, it's a process of trial and error; a long, arduous journey littered with disappointment, but punctuated by rare moments of triumph and redemption. Sadly, in the case of both Creamy Beige and Amber Rush, there was no spark.

Put simply, Creamy Beige applies too cool-toned on my lids — a bit too greyish and muddy against my complexion, not as medium neutral brown as I'd hoped (especially if it was meant to be a dupe for MAC Groundwork). It's a common complaint that if you've been reading me for a while, wouldn't come as a surprise. It's not completely terrible (like Rimmel ScandalEyes Shadow Stick in Trespassing Taupe, or even the Maybelline Color Tattoo in Tough as Taupe, which was unwearable for me), but it's still significantly off.

l-r: Urban Decay Trick, L'Oréal Amber Rush, Makeup Geek Grandstand, Urban Decay Chopper, Max Factor Auburn Envy

The problem with L'Oréal Amber Rush is IT IS WAY TOO SHIMMERY. Just look at it beside similar shades. It's practically white in comparison because of how frosty the finish is. I would've preferred if the metallic finish of the shadow was more in line with the coppery-orange base colour, rather than simply silvery/white. I just don't like how it looks on my lids ... too much mirror shine, not enough actual colour. Even if the extremely pronounced frost finish was toned down, the colour itself is something I have multiple approximations of, so the inclusion of it in my stash was wholly redundant. I do think the quality of the Infallible shadows is undeniable, and for that reason I continue to buy them (my collection is probably around 8-9), but there's not a single one I'm infatuated with. Because, as we know, it's all about the shade.

33 comments:

  1. They both look really good swatched but as I continued reading I agree with you. The eyeshadow is far too frosty, it's such a shame!

    Jodie, xo // Jodie Loue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overly frosty shadows are my pet peeve - I wasn't expecting Amber Rush to have that problem, but I guess now I know!

      Delete
  2. Maybelline color tattoo and L'oreal Infaillible are no doubt one of the best drugstore cream eye shadows. I agree with you on how Maybelline Color Tattoo dries up rather quick. I had to throw mine after 3 months, even though I always closed the lids tightly :/
    Amber Rush is indeed very shimmery! But I love it xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some Color Tattoos from like, 3 years ago, but they're basically unusable. I can't bring myself to throw it out though! Haha. Your post on Amber Rush definitely inspired me to finally pick it up while in the US :p

      Delete
  3. I used to be crazy about these two formula's, particularly the Colour Tattoo! Unfortunately, the product dries out easily and the darker colours don't blend very well either!

    Stephanie | theFantasia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Color Tattoos do dry out faster than other cream shadows I have - and then become largely unworkable :( I haven't had too many blending issues with them, though I don't have many of the darker colours. And obviously when they're dried out, blending becomes difficult!

      Delete
  4. i always go back and forth as to whether i should buy amber rush off amazon or ebay, i also saw a recent aus blog post showing that the leather collection of color tattoos is coming to aus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you have similar colours (basically any kind of coppery, orangey gold), you don't really need it. Unless you love particularly silvery/white metallic finish to your eyeshadows. Oh, are they? That's good! I am curious to swatch some of the other shades in that collection.

      Delete
  5. Amber Rush does look more on the frosty side, but I guess you can always use it on the centre of the centre lid/inner corners to bring the light in on those areas! Sucks that Creamy Beige didn't work for you though, it would've been the only colour I would pick up from the range as well

    t w o p l i c a t e s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! I might try that next time and see if I like the effect more. Creamy Beige wasn't pure love, but it's not too bad. I can still throw it on the eyes even if the colour isn't 100% flattering on me. At least the formula's good :)

      Delete
  6. The swatches look so pigmented and smooth! What a shame that the shades didn't turn out well. I had tried MAC's Groundwork before but it didn't really suit my complexion either. Funny thing you say that the Benefit cream eyeshadows don't dry out- mine actually dried out way before my Maybelline ones did! Maybe I got a dud batch? (But it happened to all 3 shades I had). I've still been looking for a good DIY way to fix up dried cream shadows... do you have any idea?

    I haven't actually tried L'Oreal's Infallible eyeshadows before but I really do like how they looked swatched, I might have a look into them now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? That's unusual! I have one full size Benefit cream shadow in Busy Signal that I've literally had since late 2012 and it's still going strong and doesn't show any sign of drying out. I also have 2 mini cream shadows and they're both very smooth and emollient still (I just used one of them today!). I personally haven't tried this method - but I have read that popping your shadow briefly in the microwave can revitalise it. I don't know if I'd be all that keen on doing that though. You could also try maybe mixing some argan oil into it and then sort of stirring it into the shadow with your finger? Otherwise I'm sure Google has some other ideas :p

      Yes, do check out the Infallible eyeshadows! The formula is truly unparalleled at the "drugstore".

      Delete
    2. Haha just came back here to check if you replied! I don't think I'm storing my Benefit cream shadows badly either, given that it's in the same set of drawers as my Maybelline ones. Since I'm not even using them at all, I think I will try anything to try to revitalise them. I had put olive oil in them before but it's so dry that it soaks it all up and becomes dry again. Microwave... hmmm not sure how that would turn out :P

      Delete
  7. The swatch comparison is really helpful, all the colours look really lovely! I'm going to try get my hands on a nude paint pot and layer half baked from urban decay over the top because I find it too shimmery using it wet, the maybelline one looks perfect for what I want!

    Amber x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you manage to track down Creamy Beige for your purposes then! Half Baked is such a classic Urban Decay shadow but I don't find it to be all that flattering on me. It's a shame, since it's included in both Naked 1 and Naked 2, lol :p

      Delete
  8. I get the L'Oreal dismissal but it is so gorgeous!!! And I will be picking up some once I convince myself to actually use them this time :) Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that sounds like a good proviso. Thank you, and same to you :)

      Delete
  9. That L'Oreal one is gorgeous, oh my!
    Charlotte // charlottespicks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Somehow, I can't work with any of these :(
    I had of of the infallible and I end up passing it to another person...as for the colour tatoos, the formula here isn't really good...

    But I have to say that I might get Grandstand because of this post :P ( not that I need another shade like that)

    Take care*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad you didn't get along with either the Infallible eyeshadows or Color Tattoos! I do really like Bad to the Bronze Color Tattoo - it's one of my absolute staples. Mine has dried out so I don't use it as often as I used to - but I really should just chuck out my existing one and crack open a new pot.

      Grandstand is pretty similar to Amber Rush to be honest. It's a bit less shimmery/reflective, but it's still quite frosty. It is definitely a gorgeous eyeshadow though. I have 11 Makeup Geek eyeshadows now and quality wise, they haven't disappointed.

      Delete
  11. I love how many of your posts contain variations of the words "superfluous" and "redundant" haha. You should host a blog sale or sell some of your unwanted makeup on /r/aussiemakeupexchange!

    I'm glad you reviewed these 2. I was going to get them in the US due to the hype but will have to think twice about them now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guilty as charged! :p

      I'm way too lazy to coordinate something like that ... so friends and coworkers get most of my unwanted makeup, then the rest goes to the bin.

      I'm a big sucker for hype but sadly these 2 just didn't thrill me. But they could for you! Too bad they don't have testers for drugstore makeup in the US.

      Delete
  12. İt is said that mineral water, especially in these summer days, is good for the face for both freshening and its quality. But i wanted to ask whether these Mineral waters we buy from the markets would also be useful if they were to be sprayed without the acid?
    mineral water spray

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your collection of bronze eyshadows must be crazy! You should look into getting the Morphe 35O palette, I thought of you instantly when I went to buy mine haha.
    I actually have a few of the L'Oreal eyeshadows from this range, I should try and use them more!
    I know what you mean by shadows being so metallic that they're overly frosty, those shades are so hard to work with.
    Amber Rush could look pretty with a really deep brown in the crease!!

    chloé⎪ status.chlo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...I do like me some bronze.

      I want to get the 35O but I can't be bothered to pay for Morphe's extortionate shipping, plus it's sold out always anyway. Trying to convince myself I don't need it...(which I don't, of course).

      I have no "crease" to speak of so :p Guess I'll just stick with UD Trick or Makeup Geek Grandstand!

      Delete
  14. Nicely presented information in this post, I prefer to read this kind of stuff. The quality of content is fine and the conclusion is good. Thanks for the post.
    Spring Water Delivery

    ReplyDelete
  15. Truly superb blog, I don’t have actual words to praise in regards for this
    Kangen Water

    ReplyDelete
  16. I definitely appreciate your blog. Excellent work!
    pure water

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very informative site, i must bookmark it, keep posting interesting articles...
    healthy drinking water

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...