Saturday, February 27, 2016

Eve Lom at non-Eve Lom Prices

It pays to have a fellow skin care-obsessed colleague who also is a bargain-hunting shopaholic. I would've never heard of this quite incredible deal if it weren't for her. Post-Christmas, Eve Lom were having 50% off some of their gift sets, including "The Perfectors". Normally £90, the set was slashed down to £45. Still a lot of money, but considering it contained 3 full size products that purchased on their own in Australia would've cost $377, it simply was too good of a deal to ignore. As further incentive, they were offering a free 15ml sample of their Rescue Mask (about a $20 value given the 100ml is $135), plus free shipping. Though still a splurge, I didn't want to miss out on a rare opportunity to secure luxe items for less. All up, I paid just under $95 for the Brightening Cream (50ml), Cleanser (100ml) and Flawless Radiance Primer (50ml). These products retail for $170, $128 and $79 respectively, so paying just over $30 on average a piece was a steal.



Brightening Cream
Absolutely lovely texture and scent, but not the most hydrating night cream I've encountered (even something like Trilogy Rosapene Night Cream with a few drops of argan oil fares better). I don't feel like adding a face oil to it like I would any other night cream since the product is so eye-wateringly expensive. It doesn't feel right to change the composition, you know? It should be perfect already and the stuff of miracles if it's $170! It does feel very soothing, moisture-boosting and plumping on the skin, and it's a pleasure to use. It gives the impression of being expensively made, well formulated and nicely packaged. I just can't get over the price. There is no way in hell I would pay the normal price for it (not simply because I can't afford it, but because I don't think it's in any way justified by the actual composition), though I do acknowledge the enjoyment derived from using a luxury product should count for something. I'll be rationing mine and treating myself to it when my skin needs a little pampering, but I certainly don't anticipate lining up to repurchase.

Ingredients: Aqua (water), Dimethicone, Propanediol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Polyglyceryl-6 Distearate, Crambe Abyssinica Seed Oil, Glycerin, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Betaine, Phenoxyethanol, Cetearyl Olivate, Jojoba Esters, Astragalus Membranaceus Root Extract, Bupleurum Falcatum Root Extract, Sorbitan Olivate, Atractyloides Macrocephala Root Extract, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Glyceryl Stearate SE, Allantoin, Cetyl Alcohol, Polyglyceryl-3 Beeswax, Sodium Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Glyceryl Dibehenate, Carbomer, Tribehenin, Sodium Hyaluronate, Isohexadecane, Ethylhexylglycerin, Tocopherol, Glyceryl Behenate, Sodium Hydroxide, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, C12-13 Pareth-23, C12-13 Pareth-3, Polysorbate 80, Rosa Damascena Flower Oil, Citronellol, Methyl Undecenoyl Leucinate, Geraniol, Linalool, Eugenol.


Cleanser
I was so curious to finally try out this cult product. I've heard lots of mixed reviews, from the ~controversy~ with mineral oil being its first ingredient, to people swearing by it after trying many high end cleansers. It has a distinctive herbal, medicinal smell which initially caught me off guard. It's not intolerable, but certainly is a defining part of the experience. The texture is probably closest to Emma Hardie Moringa Cleansing Balm of all the cleaners I've tried, except not as thick and oily, and it doesn't irritate the eyes or leave a film on the skin. But essentially, it's a semi-solid that dissolves into an oil upon contact with the skin. I like that it feels very smooth on the skin, it's easy to dissolve (no small lumps unlike with Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm), it feels luxuriously balmy, not thin and greasy. It's like administering a spa treatment to your face each time you use it. You do need to go over the eye area several times to get rid of mascara and eyeliner, but it does take everything off. It might not be as quick and effective in removing eye makeup as Bioderma Créaline H20, but it still does the trick.

The proper way to use it is with a muslin cloth (a whole elaborate routine is described on the jar), but I usually can't be bothered and just rub it all over my face in circular motions before washing it off in the shower. It doesn't leave any residue or dry out my skin, and I don't find any remnants of makeup on my face after I step out of the shower. Surprisingly, I liked this cleanser more than I anticipated. It's one of the best balm/oil cleansers I've used in terms of efficacy and enjoyment. A big part of that is the fact I paid significantly less than retail price. If I paid $128, I probably would be harsher in my judgments.

Ingredients: Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Peg-30 Lanolin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Aluminum Stearate, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Peg-75 Lanolin, Phenoxyethanol, Eugenia Caryophyllus (Clove) Leaf Oil, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, BHT.



Flawless Radiance Primer
I don't really get primers, and I've yet to encounter one which I find genuinely effective. The closest is probably Laura Mercier Foundation Primer - Radiance, and even then, the difference isn't huge or essential to my makeup routine. It's more an extra step for special occasions as added insurance that the complexion's looking its best. The Flawless Radiance Primer doesn't seem to do much in terms of improving makeup application or prolonging wear time. The consistency is on the liquid side and it's more or less like putting on a hydrating, lightweight moisturiser. The texture is undoubtedly very pleasant. It's smooth, blends out easily and absorbs well while leaving a protective, moisturised barrier in between the skin and your foundation. I think it does assist foundations with a thicker texture (whether naturally or because they've dried out a little over time) to apply in a less cakey, patchy manner. It also helps slightly with luminosity, but pretty much any good moisturiser will also do that, plus I tend to pick foundations with a dewy finish anyway. I do appreciate tremendously that this is foremost a hydrating primer that feels more like a moisturiser, rather than something mattifying/velvety and designed for oily/combination skin (like Benefit POREfessional, which I've never been a fan of). The packaging also goes some way in justifying the price tag, with a weighty cap and the smart long, thin nozzle that prevents excess product from being wasted or contaminated.

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Hydrogenated Polydecene, Glycerin, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Dimethicone, Cetearyl Alcohol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Niacinamide, Glyceryl Stearate, Nylon-12, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dicaprylyl Ether, Squalane, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Behenoyl Hydroxyproline, Ethylhexylglycerin, Polysilicone-11, Sodium Carbomer, Chlorphenesin, Xanthan Gum, Mica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Behenic Acid, Disodium Edta, Sodium Hyaluronate, Retinyl Palmitate, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Pancratium Maritimum Extract, Rosa Centifolia Flower Extract, Bht, Rubus Idaeus Leaf Cell Culture, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).

11 comments:

  1. Whoa you scored a great bargain!!
    Eve Lom is a skincare brand I've yet to venture. I saw a huge lot of Eve Lom products at my local TK Maxx some time ago, but they weren't sealed and not significantly discounted so I wasn't tempted.
    I've tried Emma Hardie Moringa cleansing balm and I really liked it. If the EL one is similar, I might enjoy it as well.. the mineral oil kind of bothers me though..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked up a sample of Eve Lom cleanser from the last Space NK beauty event. They even included a muslin cloth. I hadn't even looked at it closely yet, but now I'm scared of it! I've written off mineral and lanolin for the time being, because I've been battling with milia. There's no way I'm using that cleanser until they're gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this is a hugeee bargain!
    I have to admit that after looking at the ingredients I would pass on the cleanser since I don't have a good relationship with mineral oil - specially when something is high end. Last time I used a cleanser with mineral oil my skin totally freaked out so I decided to just stop it.

    Primers can be tricky. Personally I don't like primers with silicone like the one from Benefit. I tend to avoid primers that have that kind of texture - my foundation never looks nice and eventually cracks with them. I tend to look for primers with a more creamy or gel texture. ( which is why I'm curious about the new primer from Benefit and I really want to try out the new Make Up For Ever primers, specially the moisturising and nurturing one )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this sounds AMAZING. I hope I'll see it someday in the US! :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daaayum that's one helluva bargain! I'm proud. Haha! :P Eve Lom has never really caught my eye, mostly because it's cray out of my budget. But even reading your reviews, they don't seem particularly special, especially for the price!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bargain-city! They do seem quite disappointing though which is a shame but at least you didn't pay full price! x

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete
  7. So great when you can purchase something at a much better price!
    Charlotte // www.charlottespicks.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what a steal! That deal is definitely too good to ignore. I remember wanting to try the cleanser so bad at one point (maybe like 2-3 years ago). Since discovering the Banila Co Clean It Zero though, I don't think I'll ever stray. It is just SO effective and reasonably priced.

    chloé⎪ status.chlo

    ReplyDelete
  9. NO WAY I'm so jealous that is what you call bargain!!! I have always wanted to try Eve Lom but those prices just make my eyes water even thinking about it! I really want to try that cleanser, it sounds great, but do you think it is worth it considering the price?? xx

    Chantalle | www.ceceandgrace.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For $35, probably, but I wouldn't buy it for over $100. I use it to take off makeup and there are definitely a lot cheaper but equally effective options!

      Delete
  10. I've been wanting to try the eve lom cleanser for a long time now. I don't know why but it appeals to me more than Emma Hardy one. I'm definitely going to order after reading this. Thanks for sharing xx

    www.lpagebeauty.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...