Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Current Makeup Menu #4

I was meant to be on a makeup spending ban for 3 months from the end of January, but it all collapsed at the halfway mark when Anastasia Beverly Hills released the Amrezy highlighter. Before I spectacularly caved (because the purchases didn't just stop at the highlighter), I'd been trying to content myself with my already overstuffed makeup collection. My current favourites include rediscovered gems in my stash, as well as a new concealer that seemed to be in every single Best of 2017 video I watched.



Benefit That Gal Brightening Face Primer
This mini was in the First Class Flirts travel set purchased in September 2015, and I've been trying to use it up as it's too good just to let expire in my makeup drawers. It's a pearlescent pink with a lightweight moisturiser feel that provides a brightening, smoothing effect. The scent is also a pleasantly fruity one that makes it enjoyable to apply in the mornings on top of my moisturiser but before makeup. I like that the skin enhancement effect is more subtle and not achieved through overwhelming shimmer particles that can leave you looking like a greaseball. It imparts more of a soft focus, pearly glow that lifts the complexion. I get very minimal pilling with this (occasionally a tiny bit near my chin if I rub a touch too enthusiastically), but generally it absorbs into the skin with no issues. Best of all, to my surprise, the full size product contains 11g compared with the 7.5g in the mini. The full size also has some weird gluestick-with-a-sponge-tip packaging, whereas the mini is a simple squeezy tube. I definitely know which one I prefer, especially for what I paid.



Too Faced Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar Palette
Previously featured in my April 2015 Favourites, I've been using this almost daily and my appreciation only grows. As more and more eyeshadow palettes are released and the market becomes completely saturated, I'm beginning to feel nostalgia for a simpler time, when a major palette release from a brand would conjure genuine hype — because the product was actually good. Semi-Sweet has all you need ... those gorgeous light-to-medium neutral mattes (Nougat, Mousse, Peanut Butter, Puddin'), beautiful shimmers in pewter, copper and gilded peach, darker, high performing matte and shimmer shades to deepen your looks (Licorice, Truffled, Hot Fudge, Cocoa Chili), a pop of colour, big highlight and cream matte pans, and an angelic glitter top coat. The only downside is some of the darker shades do have A LOT of fallout, but if you do the eyes first then wipe the mess away with some Bioderma on a cotton pad, it's not a big deal. Bonus points: smells positively edible.


Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso
I don't love this 100% on its own (I find it a bit too light for my skin tone and the colour is too much of a pale orange as opposed to a more flattering, summery coral), but I find it adds a gorgeous goldy-peachy sheen on top of a darker blush that's applied first. Somewhat like a shimmery blush topper, if you will. The texture is beautifully smooth and the powder blends out effortlessly with my Wayne Goss Brush 14.


Bourjois Little Round Pot Blush in Rose Coup de Foudre
Speaking of darker colours to apply with Milani Luminoso, the one I've been pairing it with lately is Bourjois Rose Coup de Foudre. It's darker and more pink than Luminoso, but still has that same gold thread running through it that perks up and beautifies the complexion. The only problem is the entire surface of the blush regularly seals, so I periodically have to run a cotton bud across the dome to loosen the pigment. I also use a slightly stiffer brush (at least compared with the long-haired and floppy Wayne Goss Brush 14) in the form of my Zoeva Luxe Sheer Cheek Brush to apply it.



NARS Soft Matte Complete Concealer in Medium 1 Custard
I adore the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer, and every blogger under the sun put the Soft Matte Concealer on their yearly favourites, so I was convinced I needed the Soft Matte Concealer in my life. I purchased mine for $44 from Mecca Maxima with little hesitation. It hasn't disappointed. While I'm not totally convinced it is better than the Radiant Creamy Concealer, it's up there among the best concealers I've tried. It's been living in my handbag for daily late afternoon touch ups when my foundation is losing its staying power and sliding off my face. It's a drier, higher coverage, longer lasting formula than Radiant Creamy Concealer, and hence I find targeted to more oily/combination skin. However, it still blends really easily with the fingers, sinks into the skin, and the shade match is good, albeit slightly too light if I go in a bit too heavily around areas of redness I want to even out. You get 6.2g of product which should last an eternity, as you only need a tiny amount each time.


Benefit Posie Tint
These Benefit liquid tints are underrated in my opinion. Posie Tint is one of the more forgiving ones (compared with the other two I have, Cha Cha Tint and Benetint), in that it's not too difficult to work with, doesn't last 4 days on your skin after showering and scrubbing, and has some blendability. I really want Lollitint, because I'm actually obsessed with all things orchid. That's right, I'm still into the Pantone Colour of the Year 2014, people.

I've been enjoying Posietint worked into the cheeks for a pretty, youthful flush that isn't too cool-toned and doesn't immediately draw attention to the red in my face as pinks tend to do. I also love it on the lips (dabbed on with the fingers over slightly moisturised lips for a fresher, less "done" look) for a long lasting, truly kiss-proof pout. Full review with how it looks like on my cheek here, where you can also see what a pristine bottle looks like before everything scratched off in the ensuing 3.5 years.

l-r: NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Custard, NARS Soft Matte Concealer in Custard, Bourjois Rose Coup de Foudre, Milani Luminoso, Benefit Posietint

6 comments:

  1. I am actually not a fan of the Radiant Creamy concealer. At least during the winter time for my under eye area! I got myself a travel size version (mostly because I wasn't sure if I was going to love it or not). I am seriously thinking about trying out the Makeup Revolution new concealer (which is apparently a dupe for the Tarte Shape and Tape, without the inconvenience of dealing with extra tax and custom services)

    That blush from Milani is just gorgeous!! I still remember when Ingrid Nilsen would talk about it on her YouTube channel! Same for the Bourjois blush that used to be raved to death by British Bloggers and YouTubers.

    And in 2018 I can say that I am yet to fall in love with the Chocolate Palettes. I gave in to the Soph X palette and to the Desert Dusk palette (first from Makeup Revolution and the second from Huda Beauty) but I am yet to give in to these collections from Too Faced.

    It is so good to hear/read from you! Take care!

    Randomlydi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, sorry to hear the concealer didn't work for you. I didn't know they even had a travel size though - sounds handy! I've heard a lot about the Makeup Revolution concealer and I'm curious to try it, though I haven't tried Shape Tape either, so I don't know how the two would compare. I've heard mixed reviews about whether they're genuine dupes.

      I do remember when those blushes were popular on YouTube - back in the good ol' days! Geez, and funny thing is I was blogging around that time as well :P

      Oh wow, you got the Desert Dusk palette? It's been on my wishlist for so long, except now I feel a bit better that the strongest part of my yearning for it has dissipated and I'm okay with not having it now. The price just really put me off and it seems similar to Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance, which I have.

      Thank you Diana, you always leave really sweet comments :)

      Delete
  2. I think I need the NARS Soft Matte Concealer in my life.

    Throwback to Bourjois blushes - I love the smell for the nostalgia factor! So 2014 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a fan but I guess it's not amazingly better than a lot of high end concealers out there. Like I think when it comes to concealer, the shade match is probably the most important thing - so just get the one that matches you the best :)

      Haha mine barely smell anymore. I remember when I first bought a bunch of them, they were so rose smelling in a powdery way!

      Delete
  3. I've been trying not to spend so much money on makeup too and I've surprisingly managed not to buy anything from Mecca or Sephora for months so far. I think cleaning your collection helps because it makes you realise what you already have. I even found my Benefit 'Bene-tint' in my drawers (which I thought I lost) and although it's patchy as a blush, I think it works alright as a lip tint if you're going for a really subtle look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a good achievement! I didn't even last 1.5 months and since then, I've made a few more purchases as well. Absolutely hopeless. Need to get back on the wagon and exercise my self discipline a lot more. I do periodically go through my collection and try to get rid of the unwanted/unused items. Though sometimes I keep things that I basically never use only because a part of me thinks it might come back into fashion or I might want that choice or that product as as a reference point later on ... so overall my stash isn't as tight as it could be! I do have Benetint as well but I rarely use that one - it's my least favourite colour but I'll take your tip and try it for the lips :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...