Sunday, December 23, 2018

Green Glamour, Jetsetting Nowhere

Continued on from yesterday, part 2/17921 of rating my recent holiday beauty purchases.

Huda Beauty Emerald Obsessions Palette

Rating: 8/10


The first thing I've bought from Huda Beauty, since the bigger palettes are $$$ and at that price point, have to be truly exceptional to get me to purchase. Green seems to be the colour du jour and while this is not exactly the Melt Gemini palette, it swatched so beautifully in YouTube videos and had pretty good reviews, so I snapped it up when Sephora had their store-wide 15% off sale.



As a "green" palette, I appreciate the range of colours, textures and finishes you get. There's everything from glimmering pale sage green, matte seafoam, an almost Tiffany blue, turquoise-leaning metallics, khaki, olive, deep forest greens and a bright lime-yellow. Some might call it incoherent, but here, I like the variety. There are some shades that are unique to my collection, which is always a big plus when buying something new. The pigmentation ranges from "meh" (mainly one or two of the mattes) to surprisingly great.

The real question is: would I wear any of these shades? I can say that since I purchased it, I've played around with it a couple of times, but I've never worn it out. It's too green for daily office wear, and it's still too green for grocery shopping at the weekend. That's simply my personal comfort level/preference, not any judgement against those that wear colour whenever they please. Doesn't mean I don't like the palette or that I regret buying it. Just that I'm not going to get a lot of wear out of it. Probably the most neutral look you could achieve is the matte khaki shade all over the lid, with the option of the lightest glitter topper dabbed on the centre for added sparkle.

I have watched a whole bunch of tutorials using this palette on YouTube, and it's versatile enough to create a range of truly eye-catching looks. Having said that, I doubt I could recreate any of the looks on myself, with my monolids and shoddy eye makeup skills. I'm much more a "throw on one colour all over the lid, then a darker colour closer to the lash line if I can be bothered" kinda gal.


Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Mist

Rating: 8/10 (but 3/10 for affordability)

This is a repurchase. Can I say I was an OG fan, having first bought a bottle in 2013? The packaging is so luxe and beautiful, the spray is super fine (you can barely feel anything on your face, for better or worse), and I enjoy the scent. When I found out there was a 30ml bottle for $29, it seemed like an achievable way to bring back something very expensive but very nice into my life. Plus Mecca had complimentary express shipping on that day and that combined with 3 free samples of things I never asked for is usually enough to make me start typing in my PayPal details.


Fresh Facial on the Fly Skincare Set

Rating: 7/10

The price ($36, but I purchased at 15% off, so $30.6) was the main selling point of this set. You get the Soy Face Cleanser (20ml), Rose Face Mask (15ml) and Lotus Youth Preserve Face Cream (15ml). I've already tried the cleanser and enjoyed it (gently foaming, refreshing cucumber scent, ideal for mornings), and I recently tried the face cream while holidaying in Hawaii and LOVED it (I swear applying it as a night cream for a few days singlehandedly fixed my sunburned, dehydrated skin). I hadn't tried the Rose Face Mask but was curious to and would never buy the full size as it's too expensive. It's okay, nothing special. It has a watery, jelly consistency and adds more moisture into the skin. Nothing I'm crazy about or would repurchase. I have so many cleanser and face cream minis though, that I probably could have done without buying this set. Still, I convince myself these small sizes are great for travel, despite travelling, like, 3% of the 365 days in a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...