Monday, September 29, 2014

Japan Haul

It's now been one whole week since flying back from Japan but it feels longer somehow. It's amazing how quickly one reverts to their established routine after the novelty, excitement and mental break of a holiday. I had a fantastic time in Japan apart from some disappointments (like having to skip Fuji-Q Highland and being emphatically turned away from a packed yakitori restaurant that we'd made a mission to eat at given it was specifically recommended to me before my trip) and humorous mishaps (like breaking the hotel's transformer twice in successive visits and spending 2.5 hours trying with increased desperation to find a particular izakaya restaurant only to find out it had since closed down and been replaced with an Italian eatery). While Japanese maps and addresses remained a mystery and we mostly stuck to places near a train station, my friend and I still managed to cover quite a bit of ground in two weeks, including separate day trips to Mount Fuji, Tokyo Disneyland, Kyoto and half a day at Hiroshima to see the Peace Memorial Park, as well as extended stays in Tokyo and Osaka. Those that follow me on Instagram may have seen some of the pictures. As always, no holiday is complete without a roundup of the makeup and skin care purchased, so here I present my Japan haul.




Overall, I feel I was definitely more liberal with the purchases compared with Europe last year, but I wanted to focus on items that were exclusive to Japan or not so readily available in Australia. I also was a little overenthusiastic at the duty free shops in Narita Airport just as I was about to fly out. My most extravagant purchase would be a tie between diptyque Volutes EDP and the SUQQU Cheek Brush. After testing out most of the products, I'm most impressed with Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua and the MAC 217 (believe the hype for both). Sadly, not a fan of the Koh Gen Do Maifanshi Aqua Foundation at all (I wish I'd purchased YSL Le Teint Touche Éclat instead), though buying the completely wrong shade could also be a big factor in my dislike. Melvita Damask Rose Floral Water is similar to the Jurlique Rosewater Balancing Mist in that I find both to be drying on the skin. Addiction eyeshadows vary considerably in terms of colour payoff and smoothness of texture, but Fudge was the standout. Whether it's actually a flattering colour on me is less convincing. I didn't like both of the Asian mascaras I bought, though the Dolly Wink liquid eyeliner has been a hit. Lush remains excellent and some products like Mask of Magnaminty and Angels on Bare Skin were considerably cheaper in Japan compared with back home (980 yen or just over $10 vs. $16.95).

33 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a fantastic time in Japan! But it seems to me you're a bit disappointed with some of the products you bought - I get that sometimes when I shop for beauty products back home (in Poland), as I'm a bit overenthusiastic that I can finally get my mitts on some otherwise unavailable products, only to realize later than I didn't really need them after all. But the Suqqu Cheek brush - I'm so jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. RMK has pretty good face bases! Better than Koh Gen Do, in my opinion! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had such a good time! I really want to visit Japan :)
    Got so much lovely bits xx
    alicekatex ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your holiday must have been amazing :) I'm glad Your back though, waiting for more posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back :-)
    I saw your holiday picts on Instagram! definitely make me want to go to Japan even more ^^
    oh I am curious to read your in depth review on the Koh Gen Do one.. I am going to put a Sephora order next week as soon as the Hourglass blush palette is available to buy for the non VIB member and the Koh Gen Do foundation is already on my shopping cart.. But now I am not really should whether I should splurge on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you end up buying it? I'm so not a fan ... it accentuates dry patches and the shade is SO wrong for me that there's no way I could like it anyway. But you might be a fan :) I'm confused about their foundations in general. I have one that's SPF 25 which I couldn't even find any information about online?

      Delete
  6. So jealous! I've been dying to get my hands on some addiction products! Sorry to hear you didn't really like the KGD product! Everyone's loving their bases from what I've seen! I totally have to get the chanel one of these days, grrr!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uhhh so many nice things <3
    I'm curious about yout thoughts on the MAC brush, the eyeliner and...was that a Lash King mascara from Majolica Majorca? :o It looks it at least!

    I wish I could go to Japan too :< I'll keep wishing!
    Take care*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suqqu!! I can't wait to see reviews x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a you had a great time

    http://doinglifemyway.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back ! Great haul, the eyeshadow looks beautiful. I really wanna try the Chanel foundation. I wanna try the Fairydrops mascara too, I believe its from Japan..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to try Fairydrops too, couldn't find it anywhere though!

      Delete
  11. You picked up some really awesome products! I've always wanted to visit Japan, hopefully I will one day. It seems like you had a great time and visited so many amazing places, despite the mishaps hehe!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Japan seems like such a beautiful country! I really love the products you picked up, too. I see a lot of people picking up Chanel while they are there, is it cheaper?

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely cheaper in the duty-free airport. Their pricing is weird though, foundations are generally cheaper but lipsticks are VERY expensive relatively speaking.

      Delete
  13. Oooo nice summary your very controlled haul! That Suqqu brush is stunning.
    Shame you didn't like any of the asian mascaras you picked up, I only use asian mascaras. my favorites are from dollywink and fairydrops. I love Chanel VA.
    Can't wait for your reviews c:

    Chloé⎪ à la foliee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww I couldn't find Fairydrops and I didn't get any Dollywink mascara! :( But yes, Chanel VA is so good!

      Delete
  14. It sounds like you had a wonderful time and you picked up some really lovely looking things too! Perfect combination <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woohoo, welcome back! Keen to hear your thoughts on Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua - it's been on my radar for a while now... x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome back! I think you were quite restrained, love that you splurged wth pricy things rather than buying a bunch of cheaper crap like I always seem to do on holidays! I think I need to pick up that MAC brush on my holiday, awesome idea

    ReplyDelete
  17. NICE HAUL! Ooh what's that slanted foundation brush? I would totally splurge on the 217 after seeing how well the shape works on the Sigma E25. Very excited for posts on these products. I don't like the Majolica Majorca mascara either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dw I realised it's the Shiseido Perfect Foundation brush. Keen for a post on the DHC Cleansing Oil though! I've almost bought it SO many times at little Asian retailers but it's ~$22 for a small bottle so I'm using up a The Face Shop cleansing cream to remove my makeup and I might try the Silky Cleansing Oil from TBS after that.

      Delete
    2. It's the Shiseido 131. Apparently it's a little bit different to the Perfect Foundation Brush from online reviews, but I guess it's more or less the same thing.

      I bought the Heroine Make Long and Curl mascara because of you! :p But I don't know, it really didn't work for me? It was so dry in formula and just didn't give my lashes any kind of volume. Maybe a little bit of length. Eh...I don't know. I actually prefer the Majolica Majorca to it even, though both were only so-so.

      Delete
  18. Infinitely jealous of your Japan trip and haul! Ahah so the 217 is really worth it? It's on my list (hidden amongst many, many others). I also found the Melvita Floral Water surprisingly drying after it settles. I much prefer Avene!

    You didn't mention the DHC Cleansing oil - do you know how it compares to Shu's oils?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Buy the 217! At least I don't regret my decision to :)

      I agree, the Melvita is so drying when it evaporates, which is why I prefer to slather on my moisturisers when my face is still partially damp, or at least before it's dried off the surface of it.

      I haven't tried Shu's oils - maybe once at a friend's place, but I think they're quite comparable. The DHC is cheaper so that might be a selling point. I've been enjoying using mine though it does make your vision blurry when it gets around the eyes.

      Delete
  19. Oooh, I've been curious about the DHC oil. I've also been curious about Melvita waters and now that particular lemming/curiosity is dead thanks to your short dismissal. I'm just mostly jealous of your trip, Volutes and Suqqu. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow, amazing haul, though it's a shame that you didn't like everything (can't win them all I suppose though!). I love Dollywink's eyeliners and wish they were more readily available elsewhere in the world x

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete
  21. Waaa sahhhh jealous! I can't wait to go back to Japan and buy more! xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. great haul...and sounds like you had a great time :)
    would you like to follow each other on GFC? please let me know in a comment on my blog or follow me and i will follow you back:)
    jolahogg.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Japan sounds like so much fun! I'd love to go there and explore all of their beauty products!

    http://arnellavanilla.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Welcome back :)
    Japan sounds like a lovely place and you bought some really lovely things :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...