Saturday, November 15, 2014

Bounce and Dab

I've wanted to try a Beautyblender since pretty much the start of this blog, but only recently managed to actually order one. I'm content with my brush collection and my curiosity about elliptical-shaped sponges was temporarily satiated with the purchase of the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge, so while I had always intended to eventually try the Beautyblender, there wasn't a pressing need. With a discount coupon in hand however, it was the perfect opportunity to finally try the iconic beauty tool.




Having used it a couple of times, a lot of my thoughts mirror those of the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge. I think the two are fairly indistinguishable, except that the Beautyblender seems to be a bit more durable (but harder to clean) and I prefer the overall shape of the Beautyblender over the Miracle Complexion Sponge, which has the addition of a flat edge.

The most apparent thing about the Beautyblender is that it's a lot more work than a brush. Having to quickly stipple (bounce) the ball all over the face to evenly distribute, press and blend in foundation requires much more manual labour than anticipated. At some point, my arm started to tire. If only I were ambidextrous, then I would've switched hands to at least ensure an even workout.

I noticed that I use at least twice as much product, probably due to the sponge absorbing a lot of it. This doesn't overly concern me as I have a surplus of foundations, most of which I don't envisage finishing before they go off. But if you only have one or two treasured and expensive foundations that you want to stretch out for as long as possible, the amount of product that gets soaked up might be a concern.

The other major downside is that it's a pain to clean. I'm lazy at the expense of stricter hygiene standards, so it's not uncommon for me to only wash my foundation brushes once every 3-4 weeks despite near daily use. I can't really do that with the Beautyblender because I'm paranoid remnants of foundation will solidify and dry within the sponge itself, making eventual cleaning much more difficult. It's also the fact that I feel the sponge won't work properly the next time I use it if it's dirty, unlike a makeup brush. So far, I've tried cleaning it with regular soap and a face cleanser, and both weren't entirely effective in that foundation stains were left on the sponge. The Beautyblender also leaked pink dye as I squeezed it under the tap which I prepared myself for having read previous reviews.

Despite all that extra time and effort, the tradeoff is a more natural, seamless finish that can't exactly be replicated with a makeup brush. I'm convinced that something happens as water from the damp sponge evaporates from your face along with the foundation it's mixed with. The result is that foundation seems to have been thoroughly worked into skin in an undetectable fashion. It's akin to really spending time to buff and stipple foundation all over with a fluffy or flat-top kabuki-style brush, except that the sponge gives a more close contact, skin-like result. Although you use more product than with a brush, it gives sheerer coverage because everything is blended and patted away with the damp, spongy surface. Sheering out foundation with water from the sponge and applying thin layers also seems to make foundation more transfer-proof and less prone to getting oily, especially around the T-zone.

31 comments:

  1. I recently purchased my first beauty blender and I must say that I LOVE it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great :) nice post!

    http://sbr-fashion-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the RT sponge and am very content with it, I don't think I'll be shelling out for the beauty blender. I don't use a sponge often, mainly because it is so time-consuming and tiring haha! I definitely reach for it for more "special" occasions or when I do want that more skin like finish. The finish is worth the extra effort though, I must say!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did suspect this was going to be tedious to apply products with. Not surprised you felt that too.. I lack patience for makeup application and this one isn't going to help with that I think!

    TheConscienceFund

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you've described the finish. I've read so many reviews and methods of how people us it, it seems like using the sponge damp gives the best finish! I however would have no problems with the washing part, I wash all my make up brushes the same day that I used them. I've held off for so long to try this because it is really pricey here, I think I'm going to try the RT one first! I tend to always use my fingers and brushes for my face instead of any sponges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice in depth review. I've been skeptical of the beauty blender type products as it seems like more pain than it's worth, but I might have to give it a go and see!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't yet given in to the beauty sponge hype but I feel that it'll happen eventually - the sound of a seamless finish is fairly tempting but you're right, it does sound much more time consuming (and foundation consuming, apparently!)

    Ash / thebeautycollection.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't own the original beauty blender but I have tried it several times ( the perks of having a make up junkie sister :D ), and I must say I can't really tell the difference between the original beauty blender and the Real Techniques one. I have the RT one and use it regularly to blend my concealer. For foundation, on other hand, it is for me too much work. I am more a brush person, as brushes are easier and don't need much work.
    I agree though, that beauty blender provides a more natural and seamless finish..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love my Beauty Blender I find it so much easier to clean (I use baby shampoo same as my brushes) as for the amount of product make sure you're using it damp, it won't soak in product then and it will give a much nicer finish! x
    Madeleine, The Daily Mark

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've purchased a beauty blender dupe last year and it's still going strong, but I definitely need to buy a new one for hygienic reasons as it's indeed a pain to clean. What I do to prevent using too much foundation is first apply it with my hands or brush, and dap the blender over it once I'm done. Works like charm.

    Jimmy | http://amsterdaily.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm still thinking about if I should or not get this. I don't know...I might get it during the black friday or something. Who knows. But yes, you made me interested, specially because I like my foundations as natural as possible.
    Take care, have a nice day!*

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Beauty Blender is so expensive for me, I would not spend so much money in the sponge. I am also quite lazy to wash brushes hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm curious, what foundations are you using it with? I've found that makes a big difference. I love it with the cover girl 3 in 1, and Bobbi brown long wear. I dot the foundation everywhere first to cut down on blending time. I also finally got the beautyblender solid cleanser, which is amazing. Cleans it to like new in just a minute or two. I use it for all of my hard to clean brushes now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard very good feedback about the dedicated BB cleanser!

      I've tried it with NARS Sheer Glow, and also a mix of Jouer Matte Moisture Tint and Bourjois 123 CC Cream. Maybe I should try it with something a bit longer-wearing?

      Delete
    2. Definitely give it a go with a thicker foundation, I actually don't use it for more liquidy foundations at all! It makes high coverage ones look more natural.

      Delete
  14. I have tried a few dupes of beauty blender but so far no comparisons yet. I usually apply foundation with a flat top kabuki brush since I totally agree with you that using a beauty blender takes more time. I like to use the beauty blender to blend out my under eye concealer though. Amazing results.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Honestly, it really is worth the extra effort, especially for a night out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for reviewing this! I just recently ordered it and can't wait to try it out. I also don't wash my brushes that often, so I'm not really looking forward to the extra amount of time to keep the sponge clean.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you are so thorough in describing, it realy helps.. :) i have recently purchased beauty blender and i couldnt agree more with everything u said!
    The biggest concer for me is that it requires a long time to apply so i dont use it when i'm a hurry (which is 99% of times)... But i like how it leaves my skin smooth after applied.. Kisses hun..

    www.anavranjes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was so weird to hear you saying using this took more work, because I actually prefer it because it takes less work for me!

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the beauty blender! One of the best investments!

    Missmacbeauty | Missmacbeauty

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha the cleaning bit is partly why I stopped using sponges, too. I dread makeup application with it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ive been loving my beauty blender recently!
    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great review - really useful points!

    www.clemmiesbigsister.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  23. nice review:) please visit me in free time:)
    http://mesmerize87.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lol at hand getting tired. Mine does too but I think it's because of the small size and shape rather than the patting motions. I have to hold it a particular way and prefer other sponge shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I prefer the RT sponge but I have no idea why! xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Been meaning to get this in my life for over a year now agh!! Where did you purchase yours? xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. You couldn't have worded this post better! I completely agree with everything you said :)

    Sarah | More Than Adored

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have a dupe of the blender but I like the finished effect. very natural - definitely thumbs up from me! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...