Wednesday, March 4, 2015

February Favourites

We're well and truly settled into the new year with February done and dusted. I can't remember much about February except watching the Oscars and buying too much makeup. Unfortunately, the second thing seems to have carried into March. Most of my picks for February have been products I've mentioned before, so I almost didn't want to do a post to avoid repeating myself. But I guess that's how you know if something's good: when you keep coming back for more.


Melvita Damask Rose floral water
A very straightforward rosewater toner that I've been routinely spritzing after washing my face in the morning. It's a good alternative to my Avene Thermal Spring Water to re-hydrate my skin after cleansing. If it's left to completely evaporate off the face, it can feel slightly tightening and drying. For this reason, I prefer to apply my serum (back on the Indeed Labs Hydraluron, trying diligently to finish it) and moisturiser when my skin's still a little damp from spraying this. Because of its basic, pure composition, I don't find it irritates or stings, even when I get it in my eyes.


Bottom to top (from the Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow): Highlight, Sculpt

Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow + Charlotte Tilbury Powder and Sculpt Brush
This could've easily been featured in last month's favourites as well, but I was toying with the idea of dedicating a separate, full post to it instead. I'll just rave about it here. These two products are worth every penny. Admittedly, the brush can feel a bit stiff initially and it takes some time and a couple of washes to fluff up and become more pliable, but once it reaches that stage, it's the single most effective contouring tool I own. The shape just works for my face in a way no other brush has. The Filmstar Bronze & Glow is an utter revelation. I've used it almost every single day since it arrived. It gives the face a healthy, lifted luminosity and earthy warmth and definition. Charlotte Tilbury absolutely nailed this one. It's honestly surpassed my every expectation. I'm calling it now: I'll be VERY surprised if this doesn't end up in my yearly favourites.



Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser
My preferred weekend base when I usually can't be bothered with a full face of foundation. My love for the Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser in Nude is still strong, though I suspect my tube is dangerously close to its expiry date (if it hasn't already surpassed it). It's not applying to my skin as smoothly as before, but it's not a total write-off. I just need to put more time and effort into prepping my skin and blending the product in. It's worth it when the result is luminous, dewy, natural-looking skin.

Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer + Real Techniques Deluxe Crease Brush
Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser looks even better when I conceal areas of redness, blemishes, and neutralise uneven skin tone with my Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer in Classic Beige. The best tool I've found to apply it is the Real Techniques Deluxe Crease Brush. It works just as well as the Domed Shadow Brush which was my concealer brush discovery in July 2013. The Pixiwoo sisters use the two interchangeably to apply their concealer, and it's not hard to see why. The brushes are small enough for fairly precise application (though pinpoint concealing this ain't), but soft and rounded enough to blend product in seamlessly. Sometimes I really wonder why I don't always bother with concealer after my base. The effect might be subtle, but that final skin-perfecting step really does make all the difference.


Australis Velourlips Matte Lip Cream in Pa-ree
"Kylie Jenner lips" seem to be all the rage now, and this is the closest product I've found that achieves that look without going overboard. At first I was intrigued by the shade Pa-ree because I heard rumblings on Instagram it was something of a dupe for Lime Crime Velvetines in Cashmere. While I don't have Cashmere, judging from swatches online, Pa-ree looks to be a much more "wearable" version. It's a contemporary reddish nude that gives the appearance of full, plumped, rosy lips. I would almost go as far as to say this might be my holy grail nude lip colour. It's not "nude" in the pale beige/flesh tone way, it's a "my lips but better" nude that tones down and perfects the natural colouring of my lips, while adding a lil somethin' extra. The matte finish also gives finesse and sophistication. I LOVE the formula of the Australis Velourlips. They're incredible for the affordable price point ($10). I don't find them overly drying and most miraculously, they don't settle into lip lines. I usually apply it straight from the tube haphazardly, then press my lips together and dab with my finger to spread/blend the product. The end result looks like you put in a lot more effort than you actually have.


KIKO Glamorous Eye Pencil in Golden Hazelnut (401)
This has barely left my lower lash line the whole month. I don't know if I've come across a better pencil to define my lower lash line. The metallic copper shade is perfection (goes with almost any eyeshadow, or at least the neutral shades I stick to, and adds more "pop"/liveliness than a black, grey/taupe or darker, conventional bronze), it's long wearing, applies smoothly without tugging on the skin, and doesn't irritate my eyes. It was also €4.20, or $6. Basically, KIKO need to open up a shop in Australia.

l-r: Charlotte Tilbury Highlight, Charlotte Tilbury Sculpt, Australis Pa-ree, KIKO 401

25 comments:

  1. Gosh that Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow palette is just out of this world!!! The old hollywood packaging and even the embossing on the actual product inside has me swooning.
    I actually LOVE the look of Limecrime Cashmere, I've never tried the velourlips.
    I really want to try the brand Kiko, after hearing so much rave about their products, especially all their eye pencils/eyeshadow sticks. That bronze is beautiful and so complex in color!

    ChloĆ©⎪ status.chlo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would adore a full post of those Australis lip products, I don't really know much about them but that shade seems really nice? Now that I've set myself a task to use up my skincare rather than chopping and changing I've realised how long it takes to use things up - which in turn has curbed my reckless purchases of things I don't really like. Hurrah! But also, frustrating. Love making lists of things to try down the line with your favourites posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am desperate to try Bronze & Glow but I'm trying to save some money at the moment. No doubt it'll happen though because it looks freaking gorgeous! Love the Real Techniques Deluxe Crease Brush for concealer too :)

    Laura x FloraLoo Two

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy heck, that Kiko pencil looks GORG. And gah - I swear everything in Charlotte Tilbury's line seems to be a hit - which is not great for my wishlist/bank account. Hopefully I can make an order at some point! I've been turned off of the Velourlips because of a review I read/watched that said they chipped off. Perhaps I need to try one out - they have some really gorgeous shades now!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That contour kit by CT has made it onto my wishlist! <3

    zaras-bowsandpearls.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost bought the CT Bronze&Glow due to recent net-a-porter free shipping but since I have bought -more than enough make up I will ever need in my life- during my holiday, I decided not to use the free shipping promo.
    I saw rose water repeatedly on various blogs recently, and as a fan of rose scent and the flower itself, I guess I need to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great swatches! I loveeee that RT brush for blending in concealer. Great post.

    Erin | Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looove KIKO Glamorous Eye Pencil, what an amazing colour! :)

    xx S&R http://silverandrosy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the look of the Velourlips, that colour is so nice!
    Maddy, xo // UNSTITCHEDD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, the products look and sound amazing xx

    http://ourstorycanresume.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love Melvita's Extraordinary water too - it has a gel texture but still acts as an extra step to hydrate. Need to try this spray you' ve mentioned as a setting spray too :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that rose water too! both bronzer and brush look amazing - great items!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks so nice *_*
    I have yet to try out Charlotte Tilbury's products but you are teasing me!
    It's always good to go back to old favourites, they are trust-wordy options that never fail us.

    Take care*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh gosh, the filmstar bronze and glow looks beautiful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Filmstar Bronze & Glow looks stunning and that brush, just so beautiful as well! xx

    Magpie Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been looking for a good rose water toner! I really like the look of this one.

    http://arnellavanilla.com/category/home/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been trying to find a velour lips shade I"m in love with but I've really struggled because most of them are quite out there. However, that shade looks completely different when swatched! I definitely need to check that one out.

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. The CT Filmstar Bronzer & Glow is so gorgeous. I really want to get the CT Powder and Sculpt brush, actually! But I don't know if I can justify spending so much on it.

    blush and simplicity

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gaahhh every time I see your post on the Charlotte Tilbury Bronze and Glow makes me cry a little inside since I can't get my hands on it from where I live lol. I'm all about contouring and that duo just sounds like it's gonna be the love of my life hahaha. Also, the Australis Pa-ree lippie looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer is such a good everyday base - it's one of my favorites as well! The Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar palette seems nice, but I wish it had different shades. That sculpt one would probably be too light on my skin.

    x beauty, style, life | bespectacled

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes! That is true! I often don't realize how good something is or how much I love it until I realize that I keep on using it/buying it! I would love to own that sculpting brush! I would totally use it for blush and contour! You now have me wanting to buy the LM tinted moisturizer! I love the look of that kiko eyeliner and that lip cream! Gorgeous shades! Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pa-ree looks amazing! I would try it but I tried the Rimmel Provocalips and the matte long-wearing style lip products aren't something I can really see myself loving. I will stick to my MAC Sheen Supreme in Bare Again! I love using my RT eye brush from the Travel Essentials set to blend out concealer over redness. It does a much better job than fingers or larger brushes. I'm excited for you about the LM Tinted Moisturiser- you've got such a cute dinky little tube! I recently ordered a BB cushion online so I'm looking to getting back into the sheer bases again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That eye pencil is intense! I really want to try CT Bronze and Glow but the bronze shade is just too light for me. I hope they release more variations.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm forever lusting over the Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow! Must be mine at some point. The brush wouldn't hurt either, I'm a brush junkie and that one looks so amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I seriously need to add the CT Bronze & Glow Palette in my collection, hopefully sooner rather than later :)
    xxx Claire
    http://wwwclairabelle.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...