Saturday, August 15, 2015

Evil Eye Nails

I don't often attempt nail art (mainly due to lack of skill and imagination), but when I saw this picture on Katy Perry's Instagram, I loved it so much I immediately saved it to my phone for future reference. One night when I was particularly bored and had a lot of time on my hands, I attempted to recreate it. It seemed like a design that wasn't overly challenging to duplicate, or at the very least sloppily approximate.



(Source: @katyperry)






One of the advantages of having a stupidly large nail polish collection is that I generally don't struggle to find the colour I'm after. Even if I might not have the exact same shade, chances are I'll have something similar. For the neutral, sandy base, I opted for Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure in Café Au Lait, a polish I found intolerably dull painted on my nails alone, but in the context of this design, surprisingly works well. Of course, I had a white and black polish handy (NYC Nail Colour in Lili White and the glittery black Chi Chi Salon Formula in Wednesday respectively). The hardest part was trying to pick the kind of blue used on Katy Perry's toes. While I do love my blue polishes, I have mostly ice/baby blues, greenish/seafoamy blues or dark marine blues. I lack a medium, bright, Santorini-esque blue. Consulting good ol' Wikipedia for "shades of blue", I guess the closest to what I was looking for is Persian blue or Egyptian blue. In the end, I picked Essie Bikini So Teeny because it was the least wrong.

After Café Au Lait dried, I painted freehand the white half moon shape. Being right-handed, my left hand fared much better than the right, where things got a little outta control. If I was supposed to remain faithful to the original inspiration, I faltered since the white area was too large. It was also difficult to get an even curve without expanding the white half moon even more, a problem compounded by the fact three layers were needed to achieve full opacity. Painting over the white with Café Au Lait to correct any mistakes was out of the question since that would've resulted in a super uneven, patchwork job.

Pressing on nonetheless, I then dotted Essie Bikini So Teeny in the centre of the white with the nail polish brush (no nail art tools here) and made a smaller dot with the black polish. Once again, my left hand was much more uniform and presentable than my right, which was all over the place. Uneven sized black dots, wonky placement, out of proportion blue dots compared with the white crescent.

But that's the perfectionist in me talking. All in all, as William Hung said, I gave my best. I'm unlikely to attempt this again any time soon, but I do like the end result and have been enjoying something new and different on my nails. If only I had the accompanying Greek islands vacation to go with it.

21 comments:

  1. They look very neat! You must have steady hands, mine would go all over the place lol.
    I like that nude color base, Sally Hansen got some excellent nudes, I love their formula ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW I don't normally like nail designs on my own nails (I just wear solid colours) but I LOOOOVE this! And you did such a good job, it's so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cool look and I have done something similar before! I adore the evil eye motif that's happening at the moment. x

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these. They look great!

    Leanne

    Fancy read? Check out my latest post. Lush Reading & their Oxford St exclusives. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these. They look great!

    Leanne

    Fancy read? Check out my latest post. Lush Reading & their Oxford St exclusives. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these. They look great!

    Leanne

    Fancy read? Check out my latest post. Lush Reading & their Oxford St exclusives. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job! I think you did excellently in recreating her look :) It's a very cool mani though, I think I might get a little creeped out if I stared too long haha :P

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks so nice!
    I really like nail art but, I never have the patience to work it out...
    Take care*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually prefer your version (with the white area being larger) than Katy's. Very cool indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! Kind of hypnotic!

    www.jemaroons.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I simply love this mani! So cute!

    http://happinessvictim.blogspot.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks pretty neat Lena. Love the Mani, so cool and different

    ReplyDelete
  13. incredible holiday nails!

    xelisha
    www.elisha-mae.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so creepy and awesome at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh you did a great recreation! I put no where near the effort you put into your pretty but simple seeming nail art! I'm just way to lazy! I totally NEED that base polish, it's such a perfect nude! I would love a lipstick of that color too but with a bit more brown and a hint of pink!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you did a great job - they totally make me dream of a Greek island getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! You did a fantastic job on these :) a very steady hand. I adore the Cafe Au Lait colour, it's a perfect everyday nude. x.k.
    http://profoundfeline.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! You did a fantastic job on these :) a very steady hand. I adore the Cafe Au Lait colour, it's a perfect everyday nude. x.k.
    http://profoundfeline.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look brilliant, I would never have the patience to even attempt something like this! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I ADORE this :)
    It looks amazing and I love the color combination :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...