Monday, August 17, 2015

Hair Haulin'

As you might have discerned from the near total lack of hair-related posts on the blog, I'm not exactly into hair. My hair routine consists of shampooing every 3ish days (basically putting off washing my mop for as long as I can get away with it) and liberal doses of dry shampoo in the interim to keep my oily roots at bay. I always wash my hair right before bed and sleep with it in a bun, half-heartedly towel-dried. Since I've scrapped conditioner for over two years, to bring some softness and shine back to my hair, I'll run the ends with one pump of Moroccanoil the morning after in its (still) semi-wet state. If I'm feeling especially fancy, I'll whip out the texturising or sea salt spray and go to town.

Despite my cluelessness and laziness when it comes to hair, when Priceline had its 40% off hair care sale last Tuesday and Wednesday, I felt inspired to buy a few things. Probably in large part due to the success of amika Un.Done Texture Spray, the idea of casually experimenting with styling my hair and realising my tousled boho/beachy/bedhead dreams has become more appealing. I simply don't have a lot of hair products period, so I felt justified in acquiring a few to hopefully be pleasantly surprised by.




L'Oréal Elvive Extraordinary Oil
My Moroccanoil is 4/5ths of the way through, so I'm giving Extraordinary Oil a go. I had a sachet sample that I used once and found decent, so I took the plunge and bought the whole bottle. At 40% off ($12 for 100ml, $19.99 RRP), it's a lot cheaper than Moroccanoil ($59.95 for 100ml), but time will tell if I'll love it as much. My Moroccanoil has lasted an age, so on a cost-per-use basis (and the fact I genuinely think it's a fantastic product), it's worth the money. But if I can achieve the same results with a less expensive alternative, I'll make the switch. I've used it once and first impressions were that it made my hair feel silkier, softer and smoother. The floral, sweet smell was pleasant enough but nothing remarkable. To be honest, I'm not sure how different this is to something like Caudalie Divine Oil, NUXE Huile Prodigieuse or Go-To Skincare Exceptionoil, all three of which I have (though the latter is a sample tube) but don't regularly use, certainly not in my hair.


COLAB Dry Shampoo New York
I simply had to try this stuff out given all the attention it's received in the UK. I was super surprised to even see it stocked at Priceline. There was only New York and Tokyo for the scents, so I opted for the former as it seemed less potentially cloying and heavy. On my second day hair, it didn't seem to fare that well in the oil-absorbing stakes as my beloved Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk or not-as-beloved-but-undeniably-effective Batiste. It's not even as good as sucking up greasiness as my $2.50 Girlz Only Dry Shampoo XXL Volume-Plus from Target. Having said that, there are a few things I do like about it. First, the packaging. It looks more expensive and sophisticated than comparably priced dry shampoos out there (a 200ml bottle is $10.99 RRP). Second, it almost doubles as a hair perfume (which may or may not be a good thing depending on how much you like the fragrance). A designer perfume it's not, but it reminds me of a respectably formulated body spray. Third, there's some merit in a more subdued approach to dry shampoo, especially if you're not after the fire hydrant treatment. The product does seem more fine and "invisible" than the pesky white powder emitted by Klorane and Batiste, and it creates a bit of texture, volume and has some oil absorption — just not a lot.


Garnier Fructis Full & Luscious Volume Booster Spray
To be perfectly honest, I bought this because it was cheap. I'm used to texturising sprays being around $35 and I haven't encountered many "drugstore" equivalents. This is $5.95 (which is already cheap), but with 40% off it was $3.57. At a price of a coffee, I didn't hesitate to pick one up. After using it once, I'm unconvinced it does anything. To be fair, my hair is naturally quite thick, and I'd just washed it the night before, so there was already considerable frizz and body. I sprayed one half of my hair with the Garnier, ruffled, teased and scrunched my hair with my hands as instructed, and inspected the difference between the half with product and the half without. Frankly, I didn't notice any difference. I might have to try again with dirtier, limper hair to see if it's more effective when my hair isn't freshly washed. It does smell strongly fruity as most Garnier hair products do, so if you're into that thing, that could be a big plus.


Charles Worthington Volume & Bounce Texturising Spray
I bought this because of Amelia Liana touting it as a more hairspray-like dupe for Oribe Dry Texturising Spray. At $15.99 RRP ($9.59 with 40% off), it's one of the pricier products in this haul, so I had high hopes. I'd read reviews that it does have a bit more “hold” than your usual texturising spray, which immediately put me off since all I think of is hairspray which I avoid at all costs. Still, after trying it, I'd say it's at the just passable threshold for hairspray feel. There is still that stiffness, crunchiness and grit that comes with hairspray, but it's not intolerable. Certainly more than I'd prefer, but I rationalise it serves a purpose and gives the product a point of distinction. Basically, the volume/texture it creates also has a better chance of lasting because of the hold. I'll never love it as much as my amika Un.Done Texture Spray which leaves the hair more touchable and weightless, but at least the Charles Worthington is a lot closer to it than the Garnier Fructis Full & Luscious Volume Booster Spray.


OGX Renewing Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo
I've reached the stage where I'll use anything to wash my hair that approximates a shampoo, so I've tried the whole gamut of multipurpose soaps (liquid and solid form): LUSH/philosophy shower gels, LUSH Fun, LUSH Shower Jellies, as well as good ol' Pantene. I've actually been pleasantly surprised how well LUSH and philosophy shower gels work as shampoo. They're almost like clarifying shampoos in that they really get out all the gunk, but they don't leave my hair extremely dry and brittle (perhaps due to the Moroccanoil I’m putting through it the day after, perhaps due to the ingredients working better than expected on hair). Point is, I don't even need a traditional shampoo to wash my locks, so I wasn't too keen on spending $10.80 (40% off $17.99 RRP) for a 385ml bottle of fancyish shampoo. I spotted these mini bottles at the checkout though, and grabbed a couple. My friend was urging me to buy it, claiming the shampoo made her hair so smooth, sleek and frizz-less. I can't say it worked the same miracles on me, but I did enjoy the smell, it lathered up fine (despite some reviews to the contrary), and it left my hair feeling more nourished than the admittedly stripping shampoos I normally use. I'm curious to try the OGX Weightless Hydration Coconut Water Shampoo now to see what it'd do for my hair and how much I'll like it. Maybe I'll buy both large bottles of it and the Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo at the next sale.

22 comments:

  1. I always use my Charles worthington texturising spray as I find that it works best for my hair. Recently I have been loving the Batiste XXL texture spray which is less sticky and allows easier hair styling. I've used the l'oreal extroadinary oil but I didn't find it to be too special so I definitley want to try out the Morrocanoil after reading so many good reviews!

    Great post~ My dry hair needs some loving at the moment!
    Have a lovely day ♥

    Ying | * Y i n g c b e a u t y *

    X x X x X

    ReplyDelete
  2. To bring the softness and shine back into your hair, try the Lea Journo Technician Keratin Treatment Creme. It's basically a once a week treatment and it realllly helped my damaged hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I love Moroccanoil so much but I find it difficult to justify the cost since it's so high! I've used the L'oreal oil and I do like it but I don't find it to be on the same level as Moroccanoil :(

    sayyip.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Organix Argan Oil. I used tons of it. Really need to try out the Collab dry shampoos next.

    Rachel | www.currentlyrachel.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Elvieve hair oil! It is a decent product for the price. I haven't tried the Moroccan Oil though, so I can't compare. I usually apply Elvieve on my hair ends when my hair is towel dry. The oil makes my hair feeling softer, silkier and less frizzy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought the Charles Worthington texturising spray in the sale too. I haven't tried it yet but while I've read raves, I have low expectations because my hair is so thick and straight that nothing ever gives it "texture". I have the tokyo "extreme volume" version of Colab and can't say I'm a massive fan. I kinda hate the scent and I feel like it doesn't really absorb that much oil or give much volume :(

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try the Extreme Volume version of the Colab dry shampoo. It definitely leaves white in your hair, but it absorbs a ton of oil and makes your hair three times its size.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to not care that much about hair as well but, nowadays I've been working on getting my hair healthier and shinier.
    I have 5 travel-size cans of the colab dry shampoo and so far I like it. I mean, it's better than the Bumble & Bumble powder and the Syoss Dry Shampoo. But I have yet to try Batiste to compare it.
    I'm curious about that shampoo. I've been switching between a very clarifying shampoo ( once every two weeks) and my beloved Invisible Oil from Blumble and Bumble. But I really want to get something else.
    And oils really make a difference. I'm currently using oils from Primark ( super cheap and nice, I really can't complain about them) and my hair is softer compared to when I would just use a cream from TRESemmé...

    Take care*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore that Charles Worthington Volume Spray and much prefer that it has a bit more hold than others, as it makes my curls last longer! I've tried a couple of the OGX shampoos and conditioners, but not the argan oil formula, so I'll have to give it a try!

    Alice / Alice Grace Beauty

    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Colab is my favourite dry shampoo ever! i love how it makes my hair feels and theres no white marks! i really want to try out that OGX brand as well it looks pretty awesome

    www.beautyandtheboy.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love trying new hair products and all of these sound lovely and if I see any of them in store I have to check them out.

    Jackie | fashionxfairytale |

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gahhhh I really want to try the COLAB dry shampoo! So much hype!

    www.jemaroons.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that organix shampoo -- it works great and it doesn't way my hair down!

    Emma // http://thebeautyingenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a similar post that is ready to publish and as I was reading your I noticed some of the things you love I actually love too. I have tried the morrocan shampoo and I did like it but I didn't love it. The loreal oil is actually really good and I used to swear by my morrocan oil I think it makes my ends so nice and healthy. Charkes Worthington hands down for me is the best texturising spray but I do try to avoid hairsprays and texturising sprays just because I like to have a very silly finish to my hair and finally I think colab is better than batiste!!!! :)

    I also think is you have the money to splurge bumble and bumble do some fab products x

    www.samaratalksbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to try their Hairdresser's Invisible Oil Shampoo!

      Delete
  15. Sad to hear that you don't like the Colab dry shampoo as much, I really wanna try it though mainly for it being undetectable. I love Organix shampoos have tried quite a few from them !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just finished up a mini can of the Colab dry shampoo. I found it was only ok. Definitely not as good at absorbing oil as the Klorane ones. I had the Rio scent which smelled a little too much like the washroom cleaners used in public washrooms.

    blush and simplicity

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting to hear that Colab isn't all it's made out to be - I knew there was a lot of hype involved but you'd think it would do at least as well as the standard dry shampoo out there! I hauled a few things that I'm going to post on soon too - totally hair mask orientated though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heard a few good things about OGX i am 100% going to purchase some. x

    rocheosasu.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hair is probably the least thing I maintained. I'm like you, I try to prolong the washing of my hair for the longest time till I can get away with it, and rely on dry shampoo on the third (sometimes even fourth) day. I haven't tried these products myself yet, but I def need to invest in a few new ones for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm just like you, not caring much about hair at all and really sticking to the same products time and time again! I love Organix (OGX) shampoos though, which I started using a few years back. Prior to this I was always going, pfft what's the point on paying more for a shampoo when I can get a $3 one instead, when all I'm doing is rinsing it off?! But things have definitely changed. My hair is more soft and silkier, and dare I say it- I don't need to wash it as often as I used to! At the moment I am using the Kukui range, which I quite enjoyed. I haven't yet tried Moroccanoil, I have wanted to but the urge isn't that strong for me to try just yet. Definitely agree with you that Klorane has the best dry shampoo, although I have recently found Lush's No Drought dry shampoo powder which I am loving!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...