Sunday, December 30, 2012

Best of 2012

It's funny that I should be writing my yearly favourites post, as it perfectly coincides with this blog's first anniversary. I remember starting sleep and water when I was bored out of my mind around Christmas last year, alone at home and needing a creative outlet, an ongoing project that I could devote myself to. One year and 155 posts later, here we are. I'm truly grateful for everyone who reads and comments, and for the connections and friendships I've made with fellow beauty bloggers. 2012 has been a pretty good year for me, bookended by two trips that were long-held dreams of mine: the Australian Open in January (I'm a tennis fanatic) and New York in September, a city that's always been first on my list of desired travel destinations.

For my favourite products of 2012, I tried to pick items that were representative of what I consistently loved throughout the year. I attempted to be selective (in everything but the lip products it seems), which has meant a few items were excluded that probably should've been featured, mainly eyeshadows. If it's not here, it'll be in past monthly favourites.

Lips




Top lip products of 2013:
  • Maybelline Baby Lips in Relieving Menthol
  • Blistex Lip Conditioner

Okay, so I've gone overboard with the lip products. It was impossible to select just a few things. I can't live without Maybelline Baby Lips — if I ever did an empties post, it would just consist of 6 of these. Blistex Lip Conditioner is another essential. It's basically a more potent version of the menthol Baby Lips in a pot. I'm big on mintiness in my lip balm, but more than that, these two provide instant hydration and leave the lips feeling smooth and soft.

Korres Lip Butters are now a handbag staple. These live up to their name in their butteriness and the darker tinted shades double up as a cream blush. The release of Revlon Lip Butters brought me back to the excitement of getting my first Lip Smacker in primary school. Revlon and MAC made my favourite lipsticks of the year. If it was pink, nude or coral, I probably bought it.

Cheek


Top blushes of 2013:

Before my New York trip in September, it was all about Bourjois Rose D'Or for blush and Rimmel Autumn Catwalk, two pinks that (most importantly) didn't pull too red on me. I didn't start wearing blush regularly until the second half of the year, as it wasn't something that enthused me very much. I thought it was a tricky, unnecessary step that always tipped my makeup into "unnatural" territory. How times have changed. In the past three months, I've become blush crazy. NARS has won my heart in the blush department — I love Douceur for a more neutral, polished, slightly sculpting look, and Deep Throat for an easygoing peachy flush. Benefit Hervana is also a foolproof, everyday pink that goes with anything.


Top bronzers/highlighters of 2013:

At the beginning of the year, I was highlighter obsessed. My pick for powder highlighter is the affordable and very glowy Models Prefer one in Glitz & Glamour. I prefer it to the much hyped theBalm Mary-Lou Manizer, as I find the yellowish gold clashes with my skin tone. My favourite for the year is the Jemma Kidd cream highlighter in Rose Gold. I initially wasn't too thrilled with it, but I've now come to love the long-lasting, subtle gleam it imparts. The texture is very creamy but non-greasy and it just melts into the skin.

I'm not a huge bronzer user, and I didn't start experimenting with contouring until later in the year after buying the Napoleon Perdis Ultimate Contour Palette. Benefit Hoola is now my go-to contouring shade. I like that it's not too dark or orange and it's easy to sweep onto the face with my Real Techniques Multi-Task brush. I've also been reaching for the Stila bronzing powder when I want to subtly warm up the face with more of a soft apricot tan, rather than the cooler, slightly darker and more brown Hoola.

Eyes


Top eye products of 2013:

Benefit They're Real was my first foray into high end mascara, and it lived up to the hype for me. Earlier in the year, I found the L'Oréal to be a good all-rounder, though the wand does tend to get a bit clumpy. I'm returning to Maybelline Define-A-Lash once my They're Real runs out, as I think the two are very close. Of course, no mascara would be as effective without my trusty Shiseido eyelash curler.

Cream eyeshadows really drew me in this year. I'm thrilled with Essence Pas Des Copper, which I came across by pure chance on a casual trip to Target. It was the main eyeshadow I relied on while travelling and it never let me down. On days that I could be bothered with makeup, I managed to get ready in record time due to the ease and versatility of the product. Most days, I use Maybelline Bad to the Bronze applied over the lid, both as a flattering everyday shade and an incredibly effective eyeshadow base. Benefit Busy Signal is almost the only thing I wear now to define my lower lashline.


Top eyeshadow palettes of 2013:
  • Revlon CustomEyes Shadow & Liner in Naturally Glamorous
  • Sleek i-Divine eyeshadow palette in Storm
  • Revlon Illuminance Creme Shadow in Seashells (or Khaki Suede, or All-over Palette in Passion Fusion)
  • Urban Decay Naked
  • Urban Decay Naked2

Before any powder eyeshadow, I always prime my eyes with a light shade in one of the various Revlon cream eyeshadow palettes I own. I actually prefer them to Urban Decay Primer Potion, as they're easier to blend eyeshadows on top of and add a touch of extra luminosity to shimmery shades. Revlon Naturally Glamorous was the other eyeshadow product I packed on my New York holiday, along with Essence Pas Des Copper. The colour next to the darkest liner shade is perfect for a single shadow, smoky look. Revlon can make disappointing eyeshadows, but this palette is smooth, buttery and pigmented. I think it's very underrated. The bronze in the Sleek Storm palette is my most used eyeshadow and what I use on top of lighter neutrals to add more depth and definition to the eye. This chocolatey, rich bronze with a gold sheen is nothing short of stunning. The price of the palette is worth it for that one shade alone.



Urban Decay Smog, Darkhorse, ToastedHustle

My favourite shades from the original Naked palette are a combination of Smog/Darkhorse, and Toasted/Hustle. I usually apply the lighter shade over the lid, then the darker one starting from the upper lashline and ending so that when my eyes are open, it's just barely visible. I then blend the two shades together.


Urban Decay Snakebite, Suspect, YDKBusted

YDK is perhaps my second favourite eyeshadow shade, next to the bronze in Sleek Storm. Like my four picks from the original Naked palette, I usually wear a combination of Suspect/Snakebite and YDK/Busted. I also like Busted over Maybelline Bad to the Bronze, or to darken up any lighter purple shadow.

Face


Top foundations of 2013:
  • Missha M Signature Real Complete BB Cream in 23
  • Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum in 52, 53
  • NARS Sheer Glow in Fiji

Before acquiring NARS Sheer Glow, I alternated between the Missha and Bourjois for my base. I don't remember having any major complaints about either, as I used them contently for months. The Missha is higher coverage than the Bourjois and a touch dewier (good for slightly dry skin), but both give a natural, brightening finish. NARS Sheer Glow has now become probably my favourite foundation, though it can get a bit cakey (mainly if applied with a brush). It blurs imperfections, smooths out uneven pigmentation and gives a softly illuminated glow.

69 comments:

  1. thats a whole lot of stuff haha! love your makeup collection from what i can see :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly, Revlon takes the cake in the lip products section... haha i love revlon too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I can't pick my favourites haha, I tend to do a lot of research before buying products so most of the time I like them all!!! You've included many, many of my favourites though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these round up posts of 2012. It reminds me of products I've neglected in my stash and also introduces new brands to try!

    Leanne @ Leanne-Marie.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Completely in love with your lip choices dear! I think I may need to get peach parfait sometime! I just picked up another one, sugar plum! In terms of where I am with korres products, I put in an order with my mother for a bunch of different lip products from them! I do wish I had more butters to choose from online but I hope to see how they work with me before I go after more shades! They're kinda pricey in store here!

    In terms of shadows, I've been loving my neutrals like made this year...its crazy, I told myself I'd be using bright colors and not that boring nude eye but I always do nudes but they're no boring once you diversify with textures and shades!

    In terms of face products I may need to try more bb creams! The face shop or another missha, I'm afraid healthy mix reacted on my forehead the other day or just maybe my skin isn't just to having much foundation on anymore!

    Anyway, lovely post! I love seeing it all and I do agree revlons shadows are somewhat under rated, I have an old quad from them that I do love still! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list of favorites it can be so hard to narrow them down! I love the hoola bronzer it is the perfect bronze :) I enjoyed reading this and congrats on you're one year anaversarie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic post, I loved reading this! You've picked some fab make-up :) x

    http://wewereraisedbywolves.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your makeup list! I haven't tried the lip butters yet as the price is hiked up ( a lot ) here, but I've really been wanting to try it. Still a little bit put off by how much product is in there but still, they aren't raved about for no reason :)

    xx,
    FMWL

    ReplyDelete
  9. what is funny is your lips choices is pretty much exactly the same as mine ;) except i love mac morange during summer very much that my friend told me it become my signature lip ;) and NARS blush is the top of my list as well! for the skin care that i review on my blog..i think you can search them thru the amazon or else because you are from UK isn't it..and the certain product basically from france..im jealous about the bourjois! I remember i got it when i was in UK last year and i remember liking it while using during the trip but then i lost it somewhere in the hotel or smth lol...anyway hope u have a happy holiday.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your 155 posts and happy to hear that 2012 was a great year for you. NYC is also first on my travel list as I've always wanted to go there since young. Just trying to find the 'right' time to go for holidays there.

    I really enjoyed reading your favourites! I would definitely agree with Revlon Super Lustrous lippies and the Bourjois felt-tip liner. I also really liked the Missha Signature BB cream for its high coverage!

    Wish you have an awesome NYE and all the best for 2013! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you in so many products!! The Naked pallettes are definitely a must, and Nars Blushes as well. I´m really looking forward to trying Nars sheer glow, looks sooo good!

    http://mymakeupcompulsion.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy cow, what an AMAZING favourites list! I can definitely see a few of my favourites in this post as well ..especially in the lip category. Congrats on your blog anniversary and 155 posts! I hope 2012 brings you another fantastic year :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your fav! They are all amazing products!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. great list of 2012's best!! It looks like you're a huge fan of Revlon lippies!! I'm flying home this february and will def try on all those Revlon Lippies.. :D
    Oh and btw, I have just tried Korres Pomegranate on my cheeks and I looooooove it !! thanks for the tip!! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  15. such a wonderful post! you have so many lovely products :) think i'm going to treat myself to a korres lip butter soon x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my favourite 2012 favourite's post I've found although I have to admit you've made me want a lot of things including all of the Revlon lipsticks, MAC Creme Cup, NARS Deep Throat, Benefit Hervana and NARS Sheer Glow. Fortunately it's my birthday in 6 weeks so I may be able to cross some of these things off my wishlist ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely favourites! I have more things on my wishlist now!
    S xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved reading this!! This is a great idea! We have a lot of similiar favs :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your lip product choices! Pink in the Afternoon and Pomegranate are in my faves too. :) My friend just got me Benefit They're Real! for me this Christmas, so I'm excited to try it. :D Happy New Year!! Your blog has become so successful for being 1 year old, puts mine/me to shame LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please, don't be silly Maggie! Love all the effort, creativity and personality you put into your blog :)

      Delete
  20. Wow what an amazing collection. Some I have not tried which I will now have to.
    Thanks for sharing and congrats on your anniversary!

    Http://pjmscloset.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've always wanted to try those Korres lip butters, maybe I'll finally get around to it now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the Rimmel blushers and Naked palettes :) x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful list! I love almost everything you mentioned. And those that I don't, it's because I haven't tried them. haha!

    One exception: The Benefit They're Real is completely not waterproof, and I've cried charcoal because of it before. So.. sigh.

    I have a sample of NARS Stromboli because I am really interested to buy the Sheer Glow. Unfortunately, Stromboli seems too dark for me, and one shade lighter is a pink-based one. The other yellow-base one is two shades lighter than Stromboli, and will never suit me. Another sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fantastic post. And happy anniversary to your blog. I think a great post you can do next year is how to get those pictures of products so clear. You take EXCELLENT pictures, and surely a lot of beauty bloggers like me would love to learn your trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet of you to say! Thanks for the idea. I don't do anything special, a lot of it comes down to a good camera and making the most of plenty natural lighting :)

      Delete
  25. Wow I really loved this post! Happy Anniversary to your blog! Isn't amazing what comes out of boredom? That's how I started my blog as well! lol I really like this post and I have noticed a lot of other bloggers doing it, which makes me want to do one too!


    -Lisa
    The Lovely Memoir

    ReplyDelete
  26. happy blogoversary!
    i enjoyed reading about your bests in this post and i already want to try a couple from the list.

    love reading your blog.
    best wishes for your fantastic blog and you!
    happy new years!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great post. some of my all time favourites were included like Nars deep Throat and MAC creme cup. c

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing products~ i really need to try out some of these products especially the NARS sheer glow hehe! That is next on my foundations to try list. I cannot blame you for having to many lip product favourites because i love my lipsticks and my most loved out of your bunch is the Revlon Soft nude because it is so easy to use and i love the formulation,
    I love reading your blog posts and congratulations for your 1 year anniversary. I hope you have had a lovely christmas and have a happy new year xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. So many products, that was lip madness LOL We have such similar taste it's impossible not to add more things to my never-ending makeup wishlist every time I read one of your posts. Hope you continue to dazzle us with all of these amazing quality photos as well as such interesting and fun posts to read. I wish you the best for 2013, my beloved lost twin ♥ Big hug and kiss Lena!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. I Neves To try Revlon Products:) you have a BIG Make Up collection:)))
    Love all your choices:)

    Http://styleloveandsushi.blogspoot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Well I must start by saying that all the lip balms you mention I love. They are quite stunning. All your choices were pretty u are brands like Revlon is one of my favorite brands. (I hope to try more lipsticks next year).

    The naked palette is one of my favorite one that is somewhat expensive for me but it is certainly a very good investment and really is a great product.

    All products are absolutely great. Thank you very much for sharing your favorites!

    My hope you have a Happy New Year 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awesome post lovely, I have a lot of end of year favourites in common with you :) I wish you a happy new year!

    Ps if you want to check out mine here's the link :) http://mishellesleepytime.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/my-favourites-of-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for the amazing post! Blogging for me has been a pretty rewarding experience as well :) I can't wait for some new material from you! Thanks for the re-cap - I doubt I'll buy any neutral shadows until I hit pan on NAKED and although Viva Glam Nicki's a bit too warm for me, I think I'll get it for my sister :)

    Thanks again! Here's to a wonderful new year :D x

    ReplyDelete
  34. 2012 seems to have been a very fulfilling year! NYC would be near impossible to beat. I agree with so many of these! The Bourjois liner, NARS Deep Throat and the Naked palette are at the top of my list atm! I had my eyes peeled for NARS in Duty Free but I didn't see any. Happy new year! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Many of your faves are mine too!
    Happy New Year :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love reading peoples hits for 2012. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a fab post! Added some of these to my list.
    Happy New Year! x

    ReplyDelete
  38. great picks for 2012!! I loved most of them too! Happy New year! ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  39. i use the color 'dark horse' all the time to set my gel eyeliner when lining my eyes. urban decay's naked palette is definitely the go-to palette for me everyday since i usually wear the same makeup most days hahah :D

    Joyce @carouselstreet.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love this :) Happy New year!

    xo Ashley
    luckylittlebird.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Amazing list!! I just spent the last hour reading your blog, I can't get enough! I think my skintone is kinda similar so I will definitely be trying out a bunch of your suggestions - I don't yet have a good highlighter & that Models Prefer palette looks perfect!! I also love the NARS blushes you chose... heading to the US soon from Perth, so I'm looking to stock up on high end products while I'm there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Dammit, stop making me give CustomEyes another look! Revlon's eye palettes have all been pants on me but the shades of this look so workable.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Great picks! I remember when I found your blog when our blogs were first starting out, and what a treat it was! I read all of your posts that day. :) I'm glad you're still going at it! Dang, you have so many favourites. :P Especially love the blush picks, I need to pick up a Rimmel blush! xx

    ReplyDelete
  44. Once again a brilliant post! An incredible selection of products you have there!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  45. Happy Blog Anniversary hun!! I can't believe another year has passed, I can't even remember what happened in my life half of the year, lol. i'm so glad you did this post, I love your favourite posts because i get so much ideas of what beauty products to try out. i completely trust your judgement :)

    Happy New Year of 2013! <3
    I wish you all the best and I hope you'll have the time of your life! XO

    ReplyDelete
  46. OMG!!!! loving post... Look the stuff you have.. i am so loving lip butters... i am afraid you didnot add revlon kissable stain balm...Happy anniversary... May you have many more :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Happy New Year!
    I got the UD Naked 2 for xmas, and already love it!
    Hoola is definitely my favourite bronzer :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  48. I ADORE YDK and Smog!!

    chochalistas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. Such a good round up! Thank you for always sharing such wonderful reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. I should definitely do a post like this too, if I could stop being a lazy ass for the new year ahah! I absolutely love Revlon Primrose and MAC Creme Cup too, and I really want to try KORRES lip butters someday (I really laighed out loud at all those lip products LOL). Happy New Year! x

    ReplyDelete
  51. Nice picks! I totally agree with you on the Revlon Lip Butters. I love them. :-)
    Happy new year! Hope your 2013 is off to a great start! <3

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  52. Yay! Congratulations for making it through a year! :) I'm grateful to have found your blog as it's everything I need and more for extensive and detailed reviews beauty wise. Thank you for existing. I love this post especially, definitely bookmarking this. :D Looking forward to more reviews to come! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks so much for your uber sweet comments always :)

      Delete
  53. I love all your picks. I love Benefits Hervana blush!
    Just became your 700th follower!
    Zoe x

    ReplyDelete
  54. So many amazing products there! I love Nars deep throat too, and the naked palletes - interestingly the same shades as you!xx

    ReplyDelete
  55. Haha, I love how many lip products you've included! Such a great post :)

    Aimée
    Xxxx
    dress-it-up-6.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  56. Great favourites - here are mine: http://ofbeautyandnothingness.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/2012-favourites-make-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  57. Wow, nice favorites! I enjoyed looking at your picks and now I want to try some products on your list ;p

    I love your blog by the way, I am now following your blog ;)

    Please stop by my blog if you have time :)


    YURI
    http://twothousandthings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  58. Revlon Lip Butters, Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze, and UD Naked palette would definitely make my list as well, they are some amazing products :)
    I need to check where I can buy Bourjois products in the US, I've been wanting to try them out after reading your blog!

    xoxo.
    Jenny @ Geeky Posh

    ReplyDelete
  59. These are all so beautifully photographed <3

    ReplyDelete
  60. i enjoy reading/watching these best beauty of 2012 so much. need to wrap up a post for myself - however short, right?

    cheers,
    jacq

    ReplyDelete
  61. I'm totally creeping on your old posts right now. I'm kind of freaking out about how different and cute that Baby Lips packaging looks in Australia! I wonder if there are also different flavors than the US has. I'm a total Baby Lips fiend as well, I use Cherry Me like water :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog of old! ;)

      I noticed the different packaging when I was in the States - I was so confused as all of the Baby Lips there seemed tinted but ours are all clear but flavoured! I think I actually prefer our packaging but I did want to pick up the pink Baby Lips in the States (but resisted...)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...