Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Recreating FrmHeadtoToe

I have so much respect for YouTube beauty gurus who take not only the time and effort, but the creativity, dedication and skill, to routinely share their expertise and experience to inform and entertain. While I love watching tutorials of looks, I rarely (if ever) attempt to replicate one. Most gurus I watch don't have the same eye shape as me, so I physically can't just copy a look they've done. The main exception is Jen from From Head to Toe, who has monolids like me. I love that she embraces her monolids and finds ways to really enhance and play up her eyes without resorting to drawing in an artificial crease or complicated eyeshadow shading. I recently came across this Makeup For Glasses tutorial she posted, and somehow wanted to try it out for myself. The frames she wears are similar to mine, and I had most of the eyeshadows she used, so it seemed like the perfect opportunity to see just how well I could follow a tutorial.


I didn't have the Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner she used, so I opted for Maybelline EyeStudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner in Blackest Black instead. I used the included mini brush, since I didn't have anything better and an angled eyeliner brush seemed like a trickier option. I found it really difficult to get both eyes even and I wasn't sure exactly how far I should extend the eyeliner, except for the vague notion I should go for a bolder, more dramatic look than I normally would.

Then came the eyeshadow part. I started with Gunmetal from the original Urban Decay Naked palette, except I didn't have the Sigma E30 Jen used. That turned out to be problematic, since you really do need that kind of small, dome-shaped brush for precise enough application. I ended up using my usual Sportsgirl dual-ended flat eyeshadow brush, which made a bit of a mess. I couldn't get a fine tip at the end, but I did my best, soldiering on and applying Creep near the outer corner for a gradient effect. It was then that I remembered my Ecotools Smudge Brush from the Bamboo 6 Piece Eye Brush Set, which is the closest thing to the Sigma E30 that I have. I attempted to fill in and refine the tip so it more resembled a clean, pointed end. I then concentrated Sidecar on the centre of the lid, though I probably should've created more of a rounder shape and applied it higher. I did go back and draw over the original Maybelline gel liner, but it seemed a bit of a redundant step that barely made any difference, because it wasn't as inky black as the Eyeko Jen used.

Rather than the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion, I went for my Maybelline gel liner again. Instead of Yeyo, I used the white end of the CoverGirl SmokyShadowBlast stick in Onyx Smoke. It definitely isn't as pronounced as Yeyo, especially on the lower lashline. Mascara was CoverGirl LashBlast, and I finished off with wonkily applying a pair of flimsy, barely there falsies purchased from Daiso ages ago.




The end result wasn't exactly the same, as I really needed an inky black eyeliner and something like the Sigma E30 to get closer to the look. Sidecar is such a pretty, bronzy taupe on Jen, but on me it's more cool and frosty. Overall, the eyeshadows she used are darker and much cooler than the warmer, bronze tones that I usually go for, so I'm not sure if they really flattered my skin tone. I had fun with it anyway, and the basic premise (winged shape, colour gradient, highlighted inner corner) is simple enough that you can play around and come up with your own version.

53 comments:

  1. This is such a great look! Your eyes look beautiful :)I'm so bad at using dark eyeshadow, I'm jealous.

    Thanks for sharing x

    peachycurves.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this look, you did a great job!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! You have gorgeous eyes
    S xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I love this look, it is gorgeous :)

    Charlee
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing look! i am a fan of frmheadtotoe too!! =)

    elvie
    www.elviemousse.blogspot.sg

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did a great job with what you had. I really like Jen's videos, she's really sweet and she explains everything in detail. I don't have monolids but I do have tiny creases so her advice more often than not comes in handy.
    I don't think you should be concerned about getting the exact same brushes or eyeliner, I believe the fun part of watching tutorials and attempting recreating them is when we make them our own ^^
    I like how yours turned out, my only suggestion would be to use warmer tones next time (I don't have the naked palette so I can name any colours) because I think those would bring out the colour of your eyes even more, but I really like cool tones on you, they look more 'night out' appropriate if you know what I mean : )
    Have a great day Lena! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful look :D it really suits you eye shape! I watch a lot of tutorials but I rarely actually recreate them :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What pretty eye make up! A friend of mine has monolids as well and she's always complaining about the lack of Youtube tutorials that cater to her eyelids. So she's obsessed with Jen!

    I like the wing that you made at the outer corner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love watching Jen - she was one of the very first beauty youtubers I was addicted to watching! Oh and I love your recreation of the make-up for glasses look. Amazing job :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you did a great job! Jen is absolutely gorgeous and so are you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Jen frmheadtotoe since I have monolids as well. Her videos tutorials are the closest one that I can recreate. I actually thought it was her on the picture! :p Beautiful eyes :) X

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is absolutely stunning! I often see people with monolids just do a generic smokey eye but this is fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good attempt - well executed! You have a similar eye shape to Jenfrmheadtotoe so it looks very similar to hers. Quite an edgy look. I love the graduation of oolours from dark to light. I always love the gradient effect on the eye. Always gives more dimension.

    Jenny xoxo

    Come and say Hi - http://suprajen888.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks really good! :) It looks like something I would wear to formal.
    I love watching Jen because I have monolids too!
    A lot of monolid tutorials wing their eyeliner upwards however, and I don't look good with winged up eyeliner o.o

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've proclaimed my girl crush on Jen several times and her makeup for glasses tutorial was something that I found inspiring for the same reason you said- she embraces her monolids! Both the glasses tutorial and the ensuing monolid tutorial didn't use tape, which I really liked because I certainly don't wear tape.
    You did a great job recreating it- even if it comes across as a cooler, more frosty look, it's still a great smokey eye in its own right. I need to get myself the Naked palette! I can't believe I've put it off for so long. I think larger purchases like those are compartmentalised in my head as being too much, but I find myself spending the same money on Sleek and Australis eyeshadows without issue. Urgh silly me.
    The Sigma E30 is a really nice brush! I mostly use it to put a touch of Soft and Gentle MSF in the inner corner but I was playing around with Tender Caramel Infallible shadow and used the E30 to darken the outer corner with the Sleek Storm palette's burgundy and dark bronze and it's probably my favourite of the two Sigma brushes that I bought. The E25 tends to splay out and isn't as tapered, which makes for better general blending but incapable of doing anything precise.
    Jen's elongating the wing had me conflicted because the recent Pixiwoo video on enhancing eye shapes recommended making the eyeshadow shape rounder to raise the middle of the lid, instead of winging it out and making the eyes appear longer. :S I guess it's subjective and both can work. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow loved the look ..n the color combo also looks great, love your eyes .. n the look really enhances them ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job! I love the mascara - i have short, sparse stereotypically asian lashes and I'm on the hunt for a new Holy Grail mascara. What are you using? :D xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how Jen has tutorials for those with monolids and doesn't use anything to create a crease (such as double eyelid tape or glue) and like you said, drawing on a fake crease! The look you ended up with looks great, and those Daiso eyelashes do look very natural. I would love to invest in a eyeshadow brush like the Sigma E30 but I won't want to spend too much at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful shadow, I really like the silvery highlights :) and you have lovely clear skin!

    ReplyDelete
  20. your eyemakeup looks totally beautiful!
    i actually love the winged line look on monolids. so sexy!

    (and yay for the full face picture! ^-^*)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks great! And I love your glasses!

    www.dressingroomdiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think it looks really good! I quite liked that particular tutorial from Jen. It's nice to see a picture of most of your face. c:

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgoues...I'd never say monolids are a downside! I can see girls doing this with other colors too! A good primer and a clean shape, this shape would be great on all mono lids! Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks so perfect on you!! Like you, I like to watch youtube gurus, most asian, and maybe almost all of them have double eyelids, but Jen knows how to stand up her eyes whitout double eyelids :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this look. I often try out makeup on my girls, so I'm definitely going to do this for my Japanese friend on a night out. Really cool and pretty.

    Anna x
    http://sweet--spot.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  26. it is gorgeous. By the way your glasses wafer is so classy :) your eye look is so subtle and totally wearable <3...and liking your falsies too <3

    ReplyDelete
  27. This a gorgeous look on you, it really suits you :) I love your glasses too btw :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. I rarely bother to recreate makeup tutorials, I should give them a go from time to time! I think you did an amazing job, it looks brilliant!

    thoughtsfromanothergirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love frmheadtotoe's tutorials, but I do find it problematic when I don't own a large variety of brushes like she does! She is awesome though!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, this came out so pretty! It looks especially cute with your glasses. :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  31. This look really suits you! You have really beautiful eyes, by the way :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks beaut on you! I really love it! I wear glasses aswell, but usually stick to my contacts cos I find it really hard to decide how to make up my eyes when they have glasses over them, so this was really interesting :)
    Aimée X
    dress-it-up-6.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love how it turned out! The gradient looks amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. the result is gorgeous! you have beautiful lashes too!! *envy*
    I also love to watch videos from Jen, she looks genuine in all of her videos and the tutorials are great for monolids..

    ReplyDelete
  35. Pretty!!! I thought it was very exact!

    ReplyDelete
  36. sweetie your makeup looks really beautiful, I really like it! It´s an smokey and softly maekup.

    Xoxo

    Sakuranko Blog
    My Facebook Fan Page

    ReplyDelete
  37. cute glasses! love this winged look, what i notice is that bold eyeliner or a bright eye color on monolids are much more subdued looking versus on a more rounded eye (like mine). beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I feel the same way! I have monolids as well, so it's hard to replicate the looks I see from makeup gurus from Youtube! I love Jen! She has amazing looks and I really like your interpretation of it!

    -Lisa
    The Lovely Memoir

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have the same problem with most makeup tutorials I find. I have monolids AND I wear glasses so I'll definitely have to check out this look on Jen's blog.
    You did a great job with it!

    makeupandmockmeat.blogspot.com.au
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. I actually did not know that Jen had monolids...if so the lids must not be very heavy? your eye makeup looks very pretty and suits the monolid eye shape so perfectly. I love the gradient! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. You did such a wonderful job! I absolutely adore the final look! x

    ReplyDelete
  42. I think it looks great! Such a perfect look for monolids, which you totally rock girl! Hey, we work with what we got and this is a good way to wear shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  43. You remind me of Jen actually! I saw this tutorial when it first came out and wanted to try it too. She makes the perfect tututorials for monolids!

    chochalistas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. So cute! Very bold but not over the top!

    www.rosehorseshoe.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. FULL FACE SHOT!!!!!!!!!!!! I think your recreation is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. i think it turned out great c: the wing looks fierce!

    à la foliee

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...