Wednesday, December 19, 2012

I Love Drugstore Makeup Tag

Tanya Burr's recent video finally motivated me to do this tag myself. While "drugstore makeup" is more of an American term, I guess the Australian equivalent would be the brands sold at Priceline and chemists. These questions might as well be about my whole makeup collection, as most of what I own is from the drugstore (with some notable exceptions, namely foundation, higher end blushes and a few eyeshadow palettes).


1. What is your favorite drugstore makeup brand overall?
Have to give this one to Revlon. I think it's the strongest brand across the widest variety of products. Revlon PhotoReady was the first "serious" foundation I wore, and I loved the brightening, dewy finish it gave before it started randomly caking on me (maybe it was just a case of needing to start a new bottle). Their huge scope of lip products are some of the best I've tried, high end or low. I also love some of their eyeshadows (though they tend to be hit and miss) and nail polishes.

2. What are your favorite face, cheek and lip products?
FaceBourjois Healthy Mix Serum foundation and the corresponding Healthy Balance Unifying Powder.

CheekRimmel 3 in 1 Powder Blush in Autumn CatwalkModels Prefer Highlighter in Glitz & GlamourBourjois blush in Rose D'Or.


Lip: Revlon owns this category. Revlon Lip Butters. Revlon Super Lustrous or ColorBurst lipsticks. And let's not forget their plush Super Lustrous lip glosses and long-wearing Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains.


3. Least favorite product?
Revlon ColorStay Mineral eyeshadow in Midnight Garnet — pitiful colour payoff and zero staying power.
CoverGirl LineExact Liquid Liner — a disaster. Don't attempt to draw over an existing line that's dried. It will smudge and smear it to nothing and you'll effectively have to start again. Binned.
Innoxa Summer Matte lipstick in Sugar Frosted. Can't picture anyone who could make this colour work. Save your money. 


4. What is the best makeup bargain?
There aren't that many super cheap drugstore brands in Australia, unlike in the US. For the low price and quality, Essence is my pick. Two of the best bargains are the Essence Eye Soufflé in Pas Des Copper (around $3.50) and Essence Kajal pencil in Teddy ($2).


5. What is your favorite underdog product? (Something you love that often gets overlooked?)
Revlon CustomEyes eyeshadow palette in Naturally Glamorous and Revlon Luxurious Color Satin eyeshadow in Polished Bronze — some of the best neutral eyeshadows I own and everyday colours I reach for constantly.
Savvy by DB Luxury Liner in Brilliant Bronze (old formulation, haven't tried the new one). Glides on, doesn't budge, creamy, pigmented, ideal shade for defining the lower lashline.
Australis Colour Inject lipsticks are underrated. Excellent formula and some really fun colours (Lick the Icing, Honky Tonk).



6. A drugstore product that is overpriced?
A hard one to answer, as all drugstore products in Australia are overpriced, full stop (a Revlon foundation retails for $36.95, Bourjois felt tip eyeliner is $24). Taking that into account, I find the L'Oréal brand is ridiculously expensive here. $25.95 for a Color Riche lipstick? $27.95 for Volume Million Lashes mascara? I could almost buy a NARS blush online for that price. 

7. Show your best drugstore dupe(s)!
Not that I have the higher end product to compare it with, but I think that the Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal eyeliner in Nude is a dupe for the Stila Kajal Eye Liner in TopazEssence Kajal pencil in Teddy is supposedly a dupe for the MAC Eye Kohl of the same name.

Onto products I do have, Sleek Rose Gold blush is like a more coral and intensely shimmery version of NARS OrgasmMaybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze swatches identically to Urban Decay Sidecar, though Bad to the Bronze is a little bit warmer when applied. Maybelline EyeStudio Mono in Iced Fudged is a slightly darker version of Urban Decay Toasted.

If we consider that a Revlon Lip Butter is $21.95 here, the set of Face of Australia Sheer Gloss Lip Crayons ($14.95 for 3) are exact dupes for Lip Butters in Strawberry ShortcakePink Truffle and Cherry Tart

l-r: Orgasm, Rose Gold, Toasted, Iced Fudged, Bad to the Bronze, Sidecar

Left column: FOA crayons. Right column: Revlon Lip Butters


8. Drugstore product that isn't worth the hype?
It's not available here, but it's a French drugstore product. Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentrè. I don't get the hype. It's a very thick, oily cream that I use mainly as a primer. I don't enjoy using it as a moisturiser as I don't feel it comfortably hydrates and sinks into my skin. It's more like an oily layer that sits on top of the skin.

Other than that, I don't think I've been extremely underwhelmed with a very hyped up product. I have been disappointed by products where I've read a good review and didn't like it personally. For example, I cannot fault the quality of Sleek Rose Gold blush, but the colour makes me look like a glittery crustacean. Essence Glammy Goes To... and the Stay All Day shadows in general are way too frosty, silvery and shimmery with not enough actual colour payoff. CoverGirl Intense ShadowBlast smells funny and I never use it for anything. Hate to say it, but L'Oréal Sahara Treasure. I love having it around, but the shade doesn't flatter me and the Infallible eyeshadows are annoyingly fiddly.

I also don't love all my Maybelline Color Tattoos equally. The only one I'm really enamoured of is Bad to the Bronze. I could've done without Bold Gold and Too Cool. Same with the Bourjois blush pots — Rose D'Or and Rose Coup de Foudre are my favourites, the rest are superfluous and I rarely use them, especially since I now have higher end products I prefer.

60 comments:

  1. I love this! I may have to do it. Your photos are all so lovely :)
    S xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was such a great post i enjoyed reading every word :) i wish our prices were more comparable here! my favorite brand would probably be maybelline :)

    http://allthingsbeautybytiarni.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post ..loved reading it .. n yes Revlon is my most fave brand too with a lot of good products out there :) .. I wannna do this post also .. lets see hopefully soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely loved your post...I'm a huge fan of bourjois for bases, I'm comtemplating buying that same powder compact however I just made a huge order on ASOS for dresses so I want to hold back since I've got plenty of backups!

    Revlon is a huge underated brand, I've loved most of their products, especially their quads and lip products like you say. They reign in the drugstore.

    I'm now curious about getting those souffle eyeshadows! love the shade! For me, I'm consistently using Canmake, I love the shades from bourjois, however getting product on to the brush can be a hassle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great read from you! I can't believe how pricey makeup can be in Australia. Wow. Why is that? Also I agree about the maybelline color tattoos - I found them a little stiff and hard to blend except bad to the bronze. I like bold gold too but only for a base not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also astonished by the overpriced drugstore makeup you guys pay in Australia. I know shipping costs a bit but blimey! Revlon Mascara here in the UK would prolly costs around £9-14 depending which one you go for. For that amount, I could get myself an high end luxury brand! I bet that would costs a bomb in Aussy land too tho :( I was tempted to buy the Sleek Rose Gold blush, but the shimmer had put me off slightly with my oily skin. Gorgeous colour though.

    Jenny xoxo

    http://suprajen888.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow it is so nice post I am agree with you Revlon has such variety in product and they those are pocket friendly too.. it is nice to read the whole post :) nice picks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, your photos are amazing like usual, xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, I can't believe how identical the FOA lip crayons are to the revlon lip butters! I agree that revlon is one of the best "cheaper" brands & I also really like rimmel, (and out of the Aussie ones FoA are pretty good) but I agree that the actual good cheap ones are essence & I also think Ulta3 is good in terms of their lipsticks!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is probably one of my favourite posts from you! I love seeing people's selections of drugstore makeups because it's definitely in my field of budget so I can easily relate to the products if I wanted to further investigate them in stores. I really must get my hands on Sleek and Essence products and couldn't agree more on the idea of Revlon being the most loved brand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did some currency converting (interested in the nerdy things as usual). You said Revlon Lip Butters are $21.95 which is equivalent to a whopping £14 here in England! They retail at £8 here, which would be the same as $12 in Australia which I think is far more reasonable. I'm shocked at just how expensive makeup is in Australia, I never realised how drastic the difference is!

    thoughtsfromanothergirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Revlon pallette looks very nice, though I've never tried any revlon eyeshadow.

    http://mymakeupcompulsion.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was such a great post to read :) I agree with you on Loreal - I don't think I own any of their products to be honest! I love Honkey Tonk too.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyed reading this post ! I love quite a few of these products, especially the Rimmel & Bourjois blushers xx

    http://wewereraisedbywolves.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this, and as always your photography is stunning! I must, must, must make a light box! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think I actually own anything from revlon! I hear so many people say good things about them especially the lip butters I might have to try them out xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's interesting to see how Bourjois is getting some love here! I need to grab some of their products to try out soon! Revlon definitely is the queen of drugstore lipsticks but I really believe in what-you-pay-is-what-you get, so I'm a bit of a department store snob at times when it comes to lipsticks! :D x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't understand the Embryolisse too! I wanted to buy it, but after research, I found evidence that the main ingredient is petrolatum. Every single Embryolisse item is filled with that irksome ingredient. The petrolatum makes the product so thick it can't be used properly in Singapore. Moreover, I am sensitive to petrolatum/mineral oil/paraffinum liquidum.

    Revlon line is terrible here in Singapore. We don't get much, and that's why the lack of love. Revlon counters are old and untaken care of. Promoters here tend to promote Maybelline and L'oreal. The items are not flying off the shelves, so Revlon refuses to give Singapore more. All those that you show in the photos, I don't have half of them here. They are very new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Revlon really is absolutely wonderful. The variety they offer in color and product is amazing in comparison to other drugstores. The lip butters are fantastic! I think it's terrible that American Drug store products are so over priced in Australia! That's really criminal!

    -Tara Joy

    http://beausandbows.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Revlon too :) I think overall it is a great quality drugstore brand! I wish we could get Bourjois :( I have heard SO many great things about this brand....I do like Rimmel but I wish there foundations were light enough for my very pale skin!

    http://www.pdxbeautiful.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love Revlon lip butters too!! it's my favourite lipstick brand!!

    elviemousse.blogspot.sg

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so happy you posted this because I ordered the Bourjois foundation and powder a few weeks ago and I can't wait for them to arrive so I can test them. Awesome post x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree that Revlon has some amazing products, I can't get enough for their lip products either! But wow, I had no idea these brands were that expensive in Australia D:

    xoxo
    Jenny @ Geeky Posh

    ReplyDelete
  24. I cannot believe your drugstore prices are so high!!! I'm going to have to stop complaining about spending $9.00 on Revlon foundation here! Eek. If you ever want a huge haul from America and you're willing to pay for shipping and the makeup itself, I'd be more than happy to send you some from here! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you so much for that sweet offer, but I did visit the US on hoilday in September and magically managed to really limit myself with the drugstore makeup purchases :p I think I have enough for now, and there are sales that happen every now and then which are really good - so we don't have to pay the hiked up RRP all the time :)

      Delete
  25. What a fantastic tag! I would have LOTS to share. I have that exact Revlon lipstick. Yes, Revlon is amazing.
    Girlie Blog Seattle | Cheap Makeup Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this tag! It would probably take me too long to decide what to pick since most of my collection is drugstore items.

    The Australis Colour Inject lipsticks look so fun! Revlon is also probably my favorite drugstore lipstick brand. They have better quality that most drugstore lipstick brands by far.

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think only very dark skin could pull off that Innoxa pink color. I'd look terrible in it!

    Kate from Clear the Way

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this tag!! I think it will be fun to do it on my blog too ! ;))
    My fave drugstore brands in terms of variety of products and quality are revlon and rimmel..
    I agree with you, about the maybelline color tattoo. I got mine in taupe shade and I don't really like wearing it.. It creases on my lids and it's not creamy enough for my like. :/

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm a huge fan of drugstore products too! There's just such a price difference ... with minimal quality difference.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm a new follower :)
    Love the blog,
    I have to agree with revlon - Its a brilliant brand.
    Charli...

    ReplyDelete
  31. So agree with a lot of what you said! The Essence cream eyeshadows are so hard and too shimmery for my liking.

    Due to watching too many youtube videos, I now use the word "Drugstore" so casually that I forget it's an American term. haha

    ReplyDelete
  32. Loved seeing all your picks, you have so many brands that we don't have in the States! Revlon's my favorite, too, though! :)
    colormeloverly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love all of this.Look so great.Getting FREE Christmas Gifts Here,http://www.japan-lingzhi-2daydiet.com/Christmas.html.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Most of the make-up brands that you showed here, in my coutry are not drugstore make-up :( and is expensive compared with oter brands like Maybelline. But I agree with you Revlon is a great brand and love it!! I'm still intrigued with that Bourjois fundation :D

    ReplyDelete
  35. My fav drugstore brand is revlon as well! i own so many of their lipstick! the color payoff really nice! and yes i love the color tattoo in bad to the bronze! i think nowsday drugstore line are really high speed up their product quality! me loveee

    ReplyDelete
  36. I often get tempted by Revlon - they always have some great products. x

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is one of my favourite tags! :) We have the same Revlon foundation, I'm kinda scared to try something different, because my skin is really sensitive and Revlon is the first ever foundation that worked so well for me. I'm worried that if I get a high-end foundation like MAC or NARS that i've been eyeing for so long, my skin might react bad and that's money down the drain. haha. gosh, they should have samples available here =/ I actually love the Australis Colour Inject lipsticks, the shades are so beautiful, they're right up my alley! :) thanks for the amazing post! xo

    ReplyDelete
  38. I always enjoy reading this tag, you did a great job with it. I love Revlon products as well although I try not to think about how overpriced it is here in Australia!

    makeupandmockmeat.blogspot.com.au
    x

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love this post! Many of my answers would be the same. I am a new follower :)

    Laura
    www.whitewintersblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. Very interesting tag to read Lena and I feel for you on the price tag of things because the same happens here. For me drugstore is what others would call 'dirt cheap' as most so-called drugstore everywhere are ridiculously expensive here. I love that you're always honest about the products you don't like and don't praise those you don't think are worth it just because everyone else is raving about them ^^

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great love! I love all these products, especially those lipsticks! :)
    Following your blog now. Hoping you'll follow mine too :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'm in the middle of writing up my own post of this tag. :) Love reading people's answers to this tag and yours is not an exception - great picks. The part about drugstore products you haven't found to live up to the hype most interesting - Sahara Treasure swatches beautifully, too bad it doesn't go too great with your skin tone. Great post! xx

    ReplyDelete
  43. I've been inspired to do this tag myself after I saw it about a month ago and I've just got to find the time to do it now - great post!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Ahh, there are some products that are really spot on for me. The Savvy by DB Luxury Liners and the Maybelline Color Tattoos in particular! My favourite face product at the moment is probably the Garnier BB Cream for oily skin, I am so impressed by it and can't believe (but thrilled) it's a drugstore product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly think I need to buy the Garnier BB cream for Oily/Combo skin - I've read raves and I really want to try it for myself :)

      Delete
  45. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through this post! It is so frustrating how makeup in Australia are at such absurd prices. I love how the FOA lip crayons are exact dupes of those 3 shades in the Revlon Lip Butter range! I quite like Revlon as well but I agree that not everything is worthwhile. I love Bourjois and it feels like a high-end "drugstore" brand to me. After so many mentions of Bad to the Bronze I really need to get my hands on some...

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is a really fun post to read! I'm a huge fan of Revlon as well, in particular their lip butters! :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  47. Well the only product that I can buy in drugstores are of Revlon and Rimmel. Everyone else that I can mention only consegur buying them online, even I have really wanted to try bourjois.

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love your tags, this one is so nice. I think L'oreal is my favorite drugsstore brand, but revlon is kinda there too :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  49. Great post! I must try that Essence eye souffle hehe

    ReplyDelete
  50. Wow! Why is all makeup so expensive in Australia?! Thats crazy! Great post though :)

    Aimée Xx
    dress-it-up-6.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  51. Omg Revlon DEFINITELY is the best.

    chochalistas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. I can't believe that Revlon and L'Oreal products are THAT expensive for you in Australia. I would say they are expensive here in the states, but easily a fourth of the price you mentioned. I love Revlon lip products as well. I'm not a fan whatsoever of L'Oreal. I have yet to find anything in their line worth while. Love your blog! Glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  53. wow that was good.. you mentioned that you could get a NARS blush for the price of a L'oreal lip product, is there a specific store? Or is it the online shop itself? Please let me know. Im from singapore and the products here are equally expensive as you, $30-40 for a Revlon foundation, etc! Email me at macarooniall@hotmail.com if you will please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the L'Oreal lip product is almost $30 here, so it's still fairly expensive. At the time, I was referencing StrawberryNet and/or ASOS. However back then the Australian dollar was at an all-time high, so the blush was just over $30. Now it's more like $35+. Not sure what it'd be in Singaporean currency.

      Delete
    2. You may want to try HQhair.com as well, however I personally have had a poor experience with their service.

      Delete
  54. I only buy drugstore products I love them http://maybemayhemmakeup.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...