Friday, January 13, 2012

Pink Overload

Remember when I said pink wasn't my best colour? That inconvenient fact hasn't stopped me from seemingly buying every single pink lipstick that comes into my sight. My pink lipstick collection is rivalled only by my coral lipstick collection. You could say I have a bit of a lip product problem. It started with my first Passionfruit Lipsmacker as a kid, then progressed to Caboodles lip gloss and The Body Shop lip balms in junior high school (the Kiwi flavour in the old school 15ml tub was the best ever), and finally lipstick in my teens. Until about half a year ago, I'd always been more interested in lip balm/gloss than lipstick. I'm not sure what sparked it, but since the middle of last year, my lipstick collection grew from a select few that I mostly purchased years ago, to having enough lipstick to last several years. Aside from the reason of my burgeoning preoccupation with makeup in general, I think my newly formed preference for lipstick had something to do with my attraction to the way a lipstick colour could transform a whole face.

My pink lipstick selection (featured in the pictures below, from left to right):
  • Revlon ColorBurst in Petal (sheer, shimmery, slightly dusty medium pink)
  • Sportsgirl Pout About It! in Beauty Queen (sheer, glossy, light-medium pink)
  • Revlon Super Lustrous in Primrose (cool-toned pink with purple tones)
  • Maybelline Color Sensational in Plaza Pink (darker pink leaning towards mauve)
  • Revlon Matte in Pink Pout (similar to Primrose but warmer and not as purple)
  • Revlon Matte in Sky Pink (soft bubblegum pink)
  • Australis Colour Inject Mineral Lipstick in Jive (blue-based medium pink)

They're all quite similar, with the exception of Plaza Pink, which is clearly darker than the rest and more a rosy brown, and Sky Pink, which is the lightest shade.





l-r: Petal, Beauty Queen, Primrose, Plaza Pink, Pink Pout, Sky Pink, Jive

Seven lipsticks later, I still don't think I've found the pink for me. That could just be because they simply don't work with my yellow skin tone and my already decently pigmented lips. Of the ones I have, Petal, Primrose and Pink Pout probably are the most wearable. Sky Pink is my favourite colour in and of itself, but when applied, washes me out and accentuates the yellowness of my skin because it is such a vibrant pastel pink. At least I know if my skin magically turns paler and cool-toned, I'll have all the pink lipstick I could possibly need. In the meantime, there's always my coral lipsticks...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...